Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Hurricane Ridge and a Raspberry lemonade

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hurricane Ridge and a Raspberry lemonade


We made it to Salt Creek campground in the far northern coast of Washington. You can see the Strait of Juan De Fuco waterway between the USA and Canada, right behind where we're staying.




That would be Canada you see in the distance. Actually, it's Vancouver Island. This is the waterway to get to Victoria, Canada and the ports of Seattle. We saw cruise ships, huge barges, and even a submarine pass through these waters. Sometimes there would be a ridge of fog in between and you could just see the top of the mountains

On our first day of sightseeing, we went to Hurricane Ridge. We are 52oo feet up in the Olympic National Forest. This is looking down on Port Angeles from the top of the ridge. You can barely see the town in the middle of the picture.

This is the spectacular mountain ridge that we drove 17 miles straight up for. It was more then worth every gas guzzling mile and a must see if you are ever in the area! I felt like I was in the movie Sound of Music and wanted to break out in song.



The hills are alive with the sound of music
With songs they have sung for a thousand years
The hills fill my heart with the sound of music
My heart wants to sing every song it hears.

Can you hear it in your head?
I hope it didn't get stuck there and your humming it all day. (insert evil giggle)



The little family (minus me) at a photo opp! That would be the hubby Rich, the daughter Kellie, and the dog Mario. I'm thinking this picture might make the annual Kellie Calender!

The next day we went to Victoria, Canada and this was a view of the mountain from out on the ferry. When we left Port Angeles, it was sunny weather. Then we went through the fog bank and thought it would be foggy and cold in Victoria. But we came out of the fog... to a beautiful day.


After a hard day sightseeing, It was time for a cool refreshing drink. I've made this drink several times now and it's a winner. Simply mash some fresh of frozen raspberries in a pitcher. Add one can of frozen lemonade mix. You can use either pink or regular lemonade. Then add a 2 litter bottle of ginger ale and mix. Float a few berries on top. If your over 21, you can spike it and turn it into a cocktail. Thank you Janet, for this recipe. It's one I will be enjoying a lot . It's perfect!!!

Stay tuned for my Canadian post.

*********************************************
Totals So Far!

Gas-$447.00

Camping-$259.00

Miles-1150 (total miles, including side trips)

Golf-$130.00

Recommend Reading:

The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright
Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber

Note: I'm not including food or souveniers because everyone has different habits and budgets.
Besides, I dont want hubby to know what I spent. :) (just kidding! About the spending, not the food and souveniers)


**********************************************************

.


Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is breathtaking! I'm so excited that you've covered so many miles!
We're actually (last minute) going camping for 3 days , don't where we're gonna go yet, but It sure won't be as pretty as where you've been! Only if we had more time!

July 20, 2008 at 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! This is quite a vacation. Glad you are having fun. Cute family.

July 20, 2008 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

How beautiful! When I first saw mountains (in Colorado, two summers ago) I was totally amazed. Nothing can compare.

Great blog!

July 20, 2008 at 8:37 PM  
Blogger April said...

Beautiful pictures! Sound like you guys had a great vacation!

July 21, 2008 at 5:33 AM  
Blogger Big Boys Oven said...

Awesome scenery! amazing lovely!

July 21, 2008 at 6:37 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

such grand scenery. wish i was there, too.

July 21, 2008 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger Meryl said...

Sounds like a great trip! I keep wanting to get up to the Washington/Vancouver area.

July 21, 2008 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

That looks like an awesomely gorgeous trip. I adore your pictures! Definitely making me miss the west coast. I used to live in Redding a few years ago, and man did i hate the freakishly hot summers. UGH

July 21, 2008 at 8:41 AM  
Blogger April said...

Ok, chickie, I have tagged you again! :)

July 21, 2008 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

What a fabulous place - wish I was there!

July 21, 2008 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger glamah16 said...

You are so making me want to take a road trip. I wish!Beautiful scenary.

July 22, 2008 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I am so jealous of your road trip! Maybe one day... But that lemonade sounds delicious and refreshing!

July 22, 2008 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

I left you a little award on my blog! Have a great week!

July 22, 2008 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Such beautiful photos. I can see Canada from where I live also - but on the eastern side of the country! It is amazing how different everything looks. Our mountains here look so different from the mountains on the pacific side. It is great that you are having such a wonderful vacation!

July 23, 2008 at 5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home