Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Simple Low-Fat Strawberry Dessert.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Simple Low-Fat Strawberry Dessert.

The dog days of summer are here but there is no lounging poolside, drinking colorful cocktail with little umbrellas and a wedge of lime. The sunscreen SPF40 has been sitting idle on the side table just waiting to soak into some thirsty skin.
This is not the way it was suppose to be. What happen to my poolside cocktails? Instead we have air that is so smokey it looks like fog settling in the trees. The air is heavy and hot and you just don't want to breath it in. Outside activities have been cancelled including the 4th of July celebration and the firework show.
It's time for me to get out of Dodge, Vacation time! And I cant wait to breath some fresh foggy air and see some beautiful blue sky's. It's the Oregon and Washington coast for this family and a quick day trip to Victoria, Canada. Whoo-hoo!!!

This is home for the next two weeks. We're packing it up and pulling out on the 4th. I'm going to try to post while I'm on vacation. Show you some fabulous coastal pictures and yummy food. I know I'll have some Internet connections so I'll do a little blogging on the road.. Stick with me, This should be an adventure!

So on to this dessert. I made it twice. Once as the recipe was written and once low- fat! I thought the reduced calorie one was every bit as tasty as the full fat. The first time I made this dessert I thought I would be clever and put nice big slices of strawberries into the mixture, That doesn't work in less you have teeth of steel and like big frozen rocks in your dessert. I didn't! Second time I chopped them in the food processor. Much better!


First time I mixed a can of sweetened condensed milk and some lemon juice.
Second time I used fat free sweetened condensed milk and forgot the lemon juice. Oops! I didn't even realize I forgot it till I was just sitting here telling you about it.


Then it's time to mix in 2 cups of cool whip. Regular or light, It's your choice.


Then pour it in a lined loaf pan.



Sprinkle your butter coated cookie crumbs on top. I used reduced fat cookies but I used more then the recipe called for.


Freeze for the suggested 5 hours or overnight. I speak from experience when I say that, otherwise you get fluff soup. Enough said?

Now your ready to frost it.


Frost with more cool whip and decorate pretty.



Slice and drizzle with a little chocolate syrup. Enjoy!


Strawberry Whipped Sensation
Recipe from Cool Whip
Recipe Rating:
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 6 hr 20 min
Makes: 12 servings

2 cups fresh strawberries, Chopped
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk ( I used fat free)
1/4 cup lemon juice (I forgot it once, but use it if you have it)
1 tub (8 oz.) Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
8 OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, finely chopped (or more)
1 Tbsp. butter, melted

LINE 9x5-inch loaf pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Mash 2 cups of the strawberries in large bowl. Add condensed milk, juice and 2 cups of the whipped topping; mix well. Pour into prepared pan.
MIX chopped cookies and butter. Spoon over whipped topping mixture. Cover with ends of foil and gently press cookie mixture into whipped topping mixture. Freeze 6 hours or until firm.
INVERT dessert onto serving plate when ready to serve; remove pan and foil. Spread remaining whipped topping onto top and sides of dessert. Decorate with more fresh strawberries or cookie crumbs, or even some fresh mint. Store leftovers in freezer.





****************************************************

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your vacation up the coast! It will be nice breathing in that salty sea air. Ahhhh.

July 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Although sometimes I enjoy my vacations with flying and staying at nice hotels, I really love vacations like the one you're taking. I'm jealous! Have a ton of fun!!

This dessert sounds so easy and delicious!

July 3, 2008 at 9:26 AM  
Blogger glamah16 said...

How fun. Ihave always secretly wanted to do this.And what greatplaces to visit!That dessert looks great.

July 3, 2008 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Chanonn said...

I hope you have a wonderful time... I can't wait to follow your blogs as you travel:)
Blessings my friend~

July 3, 2008 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Lucky you! I've always wanted to take an RV and hit the road. Someday I will. It should be interesting coming up with on-the-road recipes. Have fun!

July 4, 2008 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

This looks delicious and great that its diet friendly - especially after that danish braid, right? :)

July 6, 2008 at 5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home