Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Homemade Hamburger Buns

Monday, June 16, 2008

Homemade Hamburger Buns

With Father's Day behind up, it's time to gear up into full summer swing. With the price of gas, we'll be hanging around the house just a little bit more. O.K. maybe alot more. Whiskeytown Lake may be only 10 miles away but the beach is 20. That use to be not so bad but with gas at $4.57 a gallon, that round trip to the lake is 40 miles. My hubby also takes the car a few days a week so I'm left with the deisel truck . I don't think so!



But with the dog days of summer upon us and temperatures soaring over the 100's, it's hanging out by the pool for us.

I don't have to tell you about the price of everything going up. Just at Costco the other day, I saw my favorite bread, Milton's Multi Grain. I'll give ya that the loaves were huge, BUT, It was over $8.oo for 2 loaves. OUCH!



I was reading one of my favorite blogs the other day, and I saw Marye had a recipe for homemade hamburger buns! Here again, if I buy the buns I like, were talking over $3 bucks. Oh sure, at Winco I can get them for what, 69 cents? But my hamburger doesn't fit right and I don't really care for those cheep buns.



I had everything I needed on hand. Except my yeast wasn't instant. O-well, use what you got! I had regular yeast and it was fine. I made 12 buns for practically nothing. 3 of them I put sesame seeds on, 3 has course sea salt, and 6 were left plain.



The hubby requested BBQ chicken sandwiches for Father's Day.

And for lunch the next day? Roast beef sandwiches.



These were ready in less then an hour. I used my KA mixer and it took less then 10 minutes for it to come together. I even let the machine do the kneading. So simple!

Homemade beats store bought any day!

Home made Hamburger Buns

1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup unsalted butter
4 1/2 cups flour (unbleached, whole wheat, or a mix)I used all purpose
1 package instant yeast (I used regular)
1 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Dry onion soup mix if you want an onion roll
1 egg, room temperature

Heat the milk, water, honey and butter until butter is melted. Let cool to 120F. Carefully beat in egg.

Mix 2 cups of the flour, yeast, and salt. (and onion soup mix is your using it)

Mix into the flour mixture.

Stir in the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Beat well after each addition.

When the dough pulls together, turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. This should take about 5 minutes.(I let the KA do the work)

Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls, flatten slightly, and place on a silpat covered baking sheet.

Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds, sea salt, or whatever fancies you!

Let rise for 30 to 35 minutes. When buns have almost doubled bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

******************************************************************
More Bread Recipes

French Bread

Potato bread

Garlic Monkey Bread

******************************************************************

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Chanonn said...

Megan these look wonderful...Now you NEED some Pampered Chef stones and tools to go along with your KA!! Think of the fun you can have then:) You will love the mandoline!!! Call me!!! I'm seriously not a flake:) LOL

June 16, 2008 at 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan-
I am glad you liked them..they look awesome!
And I will tell ya..I use regualr yeast too. :)

June 16, 2008 at 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homemade buns are such a great thing - they take a burger from good to burgerlicious!

I like to use challah dough for my burger buns. If you have time to try that later in the summer, let me know how it goes.

June 16, 2008 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger Patsyk said...

Oh, I'm marking those to make! With cost of everything increasing, gonna have to start making more things from scratch... it tastes better anyway.

$4.57 by you, yikes! Right now we are about $3.98 at the CHEAP gas station!

June 17, 2008 at 6:37 AM  
Blogger April said...

Homemade hamburger buns!! They look nice and fluffy! I do agree with chanonn, you do need some PC stones. I love them!

June 17, 2008 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger My Crazy Family said...

I know what you mean about the gas prices, we have a deisel mega cab truck and it sits parked while we make $500.00 a month payments, because deisel is over $5.20 a gallon here.
Can't wait to try the buns, the ones out here have been falling a part so easy and I hate that. Thanks for the recipe.

June 17, 2008 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

And I thought our gas being at $4.05 was bad. I just made homemade hamburgers for dinner. I should've made the buns as well in the bread maker.

June 17, 2008 at 3:56 PM  
Blogger glamah16 said...

Great idea. I have to try this. And in these time$$$ its needed.

June 18, 2008 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger Marq said...

They look great, Megan! I've never made any type of bread before (unless you count the wonderful pop and fresh creations of Pillsbury, lol) but now you've inspired me. I guess I've been weary of putting my KA through the trama because of the horror stories I've heard. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and give it a shot. Thanks for the recipe.

June 19, 2008 at 7:03 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Wow - I thought gas was bad here, but I just filled up yesterday at Costco for 3.86/gal. But I totally hear you on the cost of groceries. I'm seriously amazed what it costs to feed a family of 2 right now!

June 19, 2008 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Megan, I love the idea of homemade hamburger rolls! Why shouldn't we be eating fresh rolls! They look awesome, and I'm sure they made they made whatever was in the middle taste better!! Thanks for sharing your great pictures as well!

June 19, 2008 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Gas here yesterday was $4.31 for regular unleaded...its pathetic.

On a happier note, your buns look great :-p That chicken sandwich looks yummy. I'd love to have that for lunch today!

June 20, 2008 at 1:50 AM  
Blogger Glenna said...

Oh wow! Beautiful buns. My husband would drool to get those for his burgers!

June 21, 2008 at 11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saved this recipe because they look delicious. One problem...what if I don't have a silpat? I know Ishould just buy one but can I use parchment or reynold's release as a substitute?

July 11, 2008 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Annonymous-Yes, you could spray your pan with non-stick spray or parchment. Either one would work great. I haven't had my silpat for very long but I do love it. Worth the 20 bucks!

July 16, 2008 at 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home