Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Beachside and a Crockpot Breakfast

Monday, July 7, 2008

Beachside and a Crockpot Breakfast

We made it to the Beachside camp ground on the Oregon Coast. The weather is warm and sunny but that damn wind makes it quite cold. The beach is long and clean and surprisingly quite. For a 4th of July weekend, there has been many vacancy's all during our stay.






This is the view from our spot. We're practically on the beach. A little bit scenic with much needed protection from the wind.


Have you ever seen a monkey tree? I've only seen them in Oregon. My first monkey tree was about 10 years ago at Shore Acres botanical gardens, 10 miles outside Charleston, Oregon near Sunset Bay. They are unique!




Here's my monkey in a tree !



This is my tiny kitchen. It makes me appreciate my 64 square foot kitchen at home. Definitely not alot of counter space.



But it hasn't stopped us from some pretty tasty meals. Like BBQ ribs and my favorite, Black and Blue Ribeyes.





This is the before picture of a great crockpot breakfast. I saw this on Michele's blog, A Big Cup Of Tea. I layered frozen potatoes, bacon, cheese, with egg substitute poured over the top. Left to cook 10 hours or over night and wake up to a hot and delicious breakfast. This recipe is a keeper where ever you cook it. One to try for sure!






The finished product and a hot breakfast.



Tomorrow were headed up close to Astoria. It's the biggest state park in Oregon. I'll be taking pictures so stay tuned. Until next time, try the crock pot breakfast!





*****************************************

Total cost so far:


Gas $122.00 (Gotta fill up tomorrow)


Park-$85.50 (4 nights so far!)


Golf-$80.00 (That would be for one person-I don't golf.)


*****************************************






Crockpot Breakfast Casserole

1 (28 oz.) Bag Ore-Ida Frozen Potatoes O'Brien,
1/2 Cup Diced Onion
1 Pound Lean Ham, diced ( I used 1 lb bacon, diced, cooked)
2 Cups Fat Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Cup Skim Milk
3 Cups Egg Substitute (Or substituted the substitute with 1 dozen real eggs)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
Place 1/3 of the potatoes into the bottom of the crockpot,
followed by 1/3 of the onions,
1/3 of the ham and
1/3 of the cheese.
Repeat this step two more times ending with the layer of cheese.
Beat together the egg substitute, milk, salt and pepper; pour it over the layers in the crockpot.
Cook on low 8-10 hours or overnight.

*****************************************



*****************************************

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Oh my!! The beach is gorgeous!!! and the breakfast looks good too!

July 8, 2008 at 5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun! And you are escaping the heat wave hitting northern CA. Breakfast looks yummy! Love anything that can be done in a crock pot.

July 8, 2008 at 7:08 AM  
Blogger LunaMoonbeam said...

Ooh...I'm so glad you posted that recipe. We used to call it "catastrophe" when I was a kid. We made it when we were camping, in a big dutch oven on the fire or on the stove. Brown the sausage or bacon, add the hashbrowns, then scramble it all up with eggs and top it with cheese. You can add chopped onions, too, with the meat and hash browns. A recipe search for "catastrophe" only yielded me about 15 links to the same political article "A Recipe for Catastrophe." Thanks! Now I can make it in a crock pot! I might crisp up the bacon first, though...soggy bacon isn't good eats for me. ;-)

July 8, 2008 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger glamah16 said...

That breakfast looks great. Terrific idea for a crockpot dishes.Enjoy the restof your trip.

July 8, 2008 at 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the Oregon Coast. I used to drive down just past Astoria every few months when I was living in Seattle. It's so nice to see pictures of it! And that crockpot breakfast looks amazing! I'm always looking for ways to use the crock pot- it just seems to be staring me in the face all the time! Thanks!

July 8, 2008 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I'm totally jealous!! What a wonderful vacation you are having! Growing up fishing and camping was our outlet. I miss the great outdoors but it is so hard do do anything with my little one.
I love your mobile kitchen!! It looks set for some good cooking..and your crockpot breakfast looks gourmet!
Hugs to you and and enjoy the cool ocean breeze..it's a gift from God! Whenever I sit outside and experience the breeze it reminds me of a Susan Ashton song..which the title evades me right this minute! :) :)
Bye for now!

July 8, 2008 at 5:16 PM  
Blogger Patsyk said...

Looks like you are having a wonderful vacation! Enjoy!

July 9, 2008 at 5:49 AM  
Blogger Prudy said...

What a great trip, and a lovely yummy hot breakfast to go with that beautiful view. Lucky lucky you.

July 10, 2008 at 6:07 AM  
Blogger Kajal@aapplemint said...

lovely pictures. I'm quite a beach bum myself. I'm at the beach practically every sunday.
That recipe sounds lovely .

July 10, 2008 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Looks pretty! Hope you are having fun!!

If you have time there is a giveaway on my blog right now. :)

July 10, 2008 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Chanonn said...

You look like you are having a great time! I'm sad to say that your kichen counter is bigger than mine in my house!! Note to self, talk to husband about my kitchen:)

July 14, 2008 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

That breakfast looks really good - what a great idea...and one I need to remember for one of my EFY/CFY weekends! Those steaks looked pretty good to me too!

It looks like you are having a beautiful vacation - lucky you!

July 15, 2008 at 2:31 AM  
Blogger Glenna said...

Have a wonderful time, Megan! I used to do soemthing really similar to your breakfast in my crockpot when we went to a cabin and it was sooo good. Have fun!

January 10, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home