Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Goodbye Oregon, Hello Washington!

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Goodbye Oregon, Hello Washington!


One of my favorite parts of vacationing in Oregon is the baskets of flowers everywhere. Oh, how I wish I could grow them like this. But living in Redding, where the temperature was 112 degrees this week, I wont be hanging any of these beauty's anytime soon. I'm so glad I'm out of town. I guess the fires are still going strong around Redding and according to a newspaper article I read, the ash is falling like snow. Between the smokey air and the blazing hot temperatures, they have health warnings in effect. Today's forecast is 106 degrees Ouch.



It's 65 degrees and blue sky here in Astoria. Perfect for growing these window baskets.





We took a trip to the Lewis and Clark fort and went through the museum. This is the entrance to the fort. It's interesting to hear about all the trials and hardships those people went through. And they didn't have enough whiskey to make it through the trip. Hard times indeed!




This is the mouth of the Columbia river. It was hard to get a picture to show you because it's so big. We were even standing on a very tall platform to get this picture!



We went up to the Astoria column but the column it self was closed for renovation. Bummer for us but the view was still spectacular on the hill.






That is the bridge that takes you to Washington. The part you see is the tall part so ships can pass under. The total length is 4.1 miles. We'll be heading that way today.




Tonight was our last night here at Fort Stevens State Park. According to a camp ranger, it's the largest park west of the Mississippi river. Not in acreage but in the number of sites. There are 538 including yurts and biking sites. That's a big park but it's very nice. Across the road is a KOA park with a Internet cafe. I'm telling ya, Hi-Fi is the new cable!





Tomorrow, Washington bound. I wonder if I'll be seeing this sign all up the Washington boarder. They are certainly up and down the California and Oregon border.




No recipe for you today but I'll leave you with a picture of my lunch. I use to think fish tacos were weird but I've found that I have taken a fancy to them on this trip. You will see them again on this blog! These were blackened fish taco with Cilantro Lime Creme fraiche. These are definitely going to be duplicated when I get home!


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger BumbleVee said...

looks like an interesting little shop window behind the beautiful flowers...

yeh...I bet the poor pioneers wished they had plenty of whiskey when they got to where they were going and looked out on miles and miles of nothingness.... poor people.... they must have been pretty tough stock just to survive.

mmm... tacos...or wraps of any sort.... can be so much fun and very tasty.... .....and from the pics... looks like a beautiful area for holidaying.....

July 11, 2008 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I just had to say that I live in Utah, and the air quality here is bad because of the CA fires. I can't imagine how bad it is there. Good thing you're on vacation!

July 11, 2008 at 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fish Tacos! Yum. I love fish tacos.

So good you are away, I'm in the bay area and we have had brown skies for a few days. Add in the heat and it's been miserable.

July 11, 2008 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Beautiful scenery!!

I tagged you in my blog for a fun game/poll! Check it out!

July 14, 2008 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger April said...

Those flowers are beautiful!! Great pic of the bridge, but I would be panicing crossing it!

July 14, 2008 at 6:51 AM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Beautiful pictures Megan! It is nice to get to see a part of the country never seen...even if through someone else's eyes!

The fish taco looks yummy. I haven't had them myself, but have looked at many recipes thinking I should try them. I just don't think Grumpy will go for them because they are a "taco". Maybe like Bumblevee say's - I may need to call them a wrap to get him to try one!

July 15, 2008 at 2:27 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Sounds like you are enjoying your trip. I've never had fish tacos, but that is the best thing about tacos - they can be stuffed with pretty much anything.

July 15, 2008 at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home