Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Thanksgiving Countdown: Pumpkin Dinner Rolls

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thanksgiving Countdown: Pumpkin Dinner Rolls



I saw these pumpkin rolls over at Aprils, and had to give them a try. This time of year I always seem to have leftover pumpkin in the fridge, and this is a great way to use it up. But dont wait for leftover pumpkin, go open a can and give this recipe a try. And don't worry, we'll use up that leftover pumpkin in tomorrows post.


Sorry for the ugly pictures but they came out... funny looking. But dont judge these babys by appearance only. When they first came out of the oven, I said, "they look like gut bombs." I figured my post would be on how not to make pumpkin rolls. But I served them and everyone loved them. Either they were really good or my familys taste buds have fallen off their tongue. They were heavy and chewy and perfect with our soup. April made Clover Rolls out of her dough but I made them my way. 12 perfectly ugly dinner rolls. With a pinch (teaspoon) of pumpkin pie spice.
Would I make them again? You bet I would. I'm thinking for Thanksgiving. You know, to go with my prime rib.



Pumpkin Rolls
Adapted from: Family Fun Magazine

3 3/4 cup all purpose flour, plus more for sprinkling
1 package or 2 1/4 tsp instant or bread machine yeast
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup canned or frozen and thawed pureed pumpkin
1 large egg
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup (1 stick) butter

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, and salt, and set it aside.

Pour the milk into a microwave-safe bowl or 4-cup glass measuring cup and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Whisk in the honey, pumpkin, egg and water. (The liquid mixture should be less then 110 degrees, anything hotter will kill the yeast.)

With a fork, blend the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture until you have a soft dough. cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Two hours before baking, turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead lightly. Melt the butter and set it aside in a small bowl. Divide the dough in half, then divide each half into 6 portions.
Drizzle or brush each roll with 1/2 tsp of butter. Let the rolls rise in a warm spot until they are doubled in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the rolls until golden, about 15-17 minutes.


Enjoy!






*************************************************************************

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Girl, I am glad that you made them! They look like a dinner roll, in all its glory!

November 11, 2008 at 5:37 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

These look great, I love trying new pumpkin recipes!

November 11, 2008 at 6:27 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

This is why I don't major in baking because my rolls come out the same way haha Taste is all that really matters, right?

November 11, 2008 at 7:38 AM  
Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Megan, who cares what they look like? As long as they're tasty. And besides, they look unique. I like them. Thanks sweetie. Great recipe.

November 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Megan - great way to use up pumpking. I left you a MEME on my blog!

November 11, 2008 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger stephchows said...

mmmmmm this looks mouth watering good! I think I"ll have to make some of these just for me :)

November 11, 2008 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger Reeni said...

Ugly is the new pretty! They look lovely to me. I love a heavier roll. I bet they tasted fantastic!

November 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

I can't wait until Thanksgiving!

November 11, 2008 at 7:13 PM  
Blogger Joan said...

How cool are those! They look great to me. I love the taste of pumpkin so I know I would love those. Cant wait to try them.

November 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

You are too hard on yourself - I think they look and sound delicious!

November 14, 2008 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Mmmm...I think I have leftover pumpkin in my fridge right now...yay!!! :)

November 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home