Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Monday, October 20, 2008

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies


It's a cake, It's a cookie, No! it's...


Pumpkin Whoopie Pie!

This months Cookie Carnival choice was
Martha Stewart's Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies.
Pumpkin spiked cream cheese filling sandwiched
between two devils food chocolate cookies.
It taste like a cake, it's name says pie, but it really is a cookie.
How perfect for Halloween!



I got 12 cookies, the recipe said 18. But the recipe also said mini. Oops!
There was nothing mini about mine.
Mine were big enough that one would do ya.
O.K, mine were big enough that half would do ya.

For a girl who loves chocolate and pumpkin, these didn't do it for me.
I got great reviews, but not on my list of *MUST MAKE*.
They were cute, perfect for the season and fun to make.
Just not my favorite. :(





Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

INGREDIENTS

FOR THE COOKIES
* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
* 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 cup whole milk
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
FOR THE FILLING
* 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1/4 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
* Pinch of cinnamon
* Pinch of nutmeg

DIRECTIONS
1. Prepare cookies: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
2. Place butter, shortening, and sugars into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add egg; mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in half the flour mixture, then the milk and vanilla. Mix in remaining flour mixture.
3. Drop about 2 teaspoons dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies spring back when lightly touched, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cool 10 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheets and transfer to wire racks using a spatula; let cool completely.
4. Prepare filling: In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg; whip until smooth, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
5. Pipe or spoon about 2 teaspoons filling on the flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies, keeping the flat sides down.
Makes about 18-20 cookies.

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Definitely a fun treat for Halloween!

October 21, 2008 at 7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look mouth watering!!

October 21, 2008 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

those look delicious and look like a great Halloween treat!

October 21, 2008 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

I emailed the person about joining Cookie Carnival, but I never got a reply back :( You should definitely put your pictures on Tastespotting and Foodgawker because they are making me want to skip all my afternoon classes and bake these!

BTW, is everything ok with the layout? Anything else you want added/changed?

October 21, 2008 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger April said...

They still look great, and give a festive feel, even though you weren't crazy about them.

October 21, 2008 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Reeni said...

I was surprised to hear you weren't crazy about them because they look really tasty! A great Halloween treat. I have an award for you, I hope you'll come visit me and claim it.

October 21, 2008 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

A great cookie for this month! They look awesome!

October 21, 2008 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Megan, what a luscious dessert..Whoopie Pies. You want to talk about "curves"? I usually gain about 10 pounbds during the holiday season. Then I have to try real hard to lose it all in the spring. Doesn't always work that way. But hey, you only live once. Thanks for stopping by sweetie. It's always so good to hear from you.

October 21, 2008 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Though they look really good, I've never found a chocolate/pumpkin recipe that tasted right (Even though they're my two favorite flavors, separately). I do have a regular pumpkin whoopie pie recipe I make every year though.

October 21, 2008 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger rubybean77 said...

Oh yeah! These look FANTASTIC!!!! My two favorite things...chocolate and pumpkin! YES!!!!!

October 21, 2008 at 8:01 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Forgot to ask you! What is it about your cookies that kept them from your must make list? I really want to make these, but I would want to make adjustments if they aren't 100% satisfying. Was it the cookie part or the filling part? Or just your tastebuds?

October 21, 2008 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Delicious Delights said...

These look great! Perfect for fall! I recently made the Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Peanut Butter filling from Martha's book. Yum!

October 22, 2008 at 3:38 AM  
Blogger My Crazy Family said...

These will be great for our Harvest night in church for the kids. I was going to make a lot of cupcakes but I think I may just make these. Thanks Megan, another great recipe, my spoon is going to get a workout. :o)

October 22, 2008 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

Ooh, another use for pumpkin! They look great!

October 25, 2008 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger glamah16 said...

Great. I bet Halloween is so fun in your house.

October 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love whoopie pies! I know you said these aren't on your "must make" list, but they look pretty darn tasty to me.

I've got a recipe for Mini Banana-Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies (with dark chocolate ganache) that might be more up your alley: http://tinyurl.com/3lvtot

also, I second the suggestion that you post your photos on tastespotting and foodgawker, they're great!

October 27, 2008 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger Cristine said...

Mine were massive, too! Great pics!

October 31, 2008 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Jin Hooi said...

haha.. they are huge and so cute !!! well done ;-)

November 1, 2008 at 2:35 AM  
Blogger Kirstynn Evans said...

So cute pictures! They are great, but tasted average. I agree!

November 1, 2008 at 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, i wasn't thrilled about them but they were cute and festive. i love the little cracks on the top of yours :)

November 2, 2008 at 8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

High five on being super-sized whoopie pie twins with me. I also didn't love them enough to put them on the "make it again" list. Ah well. Bring on the next cookie!

November 2, 2008 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Yours look so good!

November 2, 2008 at 6:20 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I love the size of those pies! Very tempting. Great job.

November 2, 2008 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Mine don't look this good. I have to give your recipe a try.

November 10, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home