Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Spiked Pumpkin Butter For Christmas

Monday, November 3, 2008

Spiked Pumpkin Butter For Christmas

A room for a Princess!
(That chest was painted white to match. It is undergoing a makeover again!)




What a difference a few years makes!
Last weekend, the Hubby spent the days painting Kellie's room. This picture was taken after we started packing up the room. You'll notice the shelves are cleaned off and the metal structure where those purple cubes go are gone.

Time to take this room up a notch to a more teen friendly room!


It hasn't been painted in about 10 years. I had it all in Disney Princess theme for when she was small. Doesn't seem that long ago. It's hard to let go of that room, that time, that period.

Now those purple walls are just a memory.

And a post. :)



Welcome to the new, grown up version of the same room. We are all so pleased with the results. Kellie was having second thoughts about the color. When we went to buy the paint, she was scared that the colors would be to bright. The Hubby finished up the trim and the touch ups,
so
Kellie can move back into her room.

Yeaaa!

Now we can work on all the crap she packed up and weed thru it.

My little girl is growing up.

Another thing I did a couple of weekends ago, was to make Pumpkin Butter. Another addition to the homemade preserves that I'll be making for my Christmas Baskets.


I found this recipe over at Polka Dot Moon and knew I must try it. This was an easy recipe using canned pumpkin. I was all over that recipe. I'm all for homemade but I'm also *for easy*.

I had to double this recipe because I messed up. I added WAY TO MUCH cloves. Two teaspoons instead of 1/2 teaspoon. Even when I tried to fixed it buy doubling the recipe,
it still has a strong presence of cloves.
But I like cloves, and my taste testers seem to like cloves.


Oh yea, and I gave it a...
nice swig of Grand Marnier.

That helped to offset the cloves.




This stuff is pretty tasty and perfect for a Christmas gift on it's own.

Are you making anything for Christmas presents this year?





Pumpkin Butter
adapted from Polka dot Moon

1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup apple juice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
swig of Grand Marnier

DIRECTIONS
Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently.
Place in (or jars) plastic containers and refrigerate or freeze.




Enjoy!



Labels: , , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

I would have never thought to choose those colors, but the room looks really fun!

November 3, 2008 at 6:10 AM  
Blogger Reeni said...

The new room looks great! The old one was cute too. I love pumpkin butter! I might even make this, you made it look so easy!

November 3, 2008 at 6:29 AM  
Blogger April said...

OOOHHH, the bedroom looks fantastic! Just like a teenagers room. Beautiful!

Your pumpkin butter look great too!

November 3, 2008 at 8:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle in Colorado Springs said...

I would worry about the pumpkin butter. I have heard of no place that says it is safe to water bath can. Most books I have read say the only was to can pumpkin is cubed in a pressure canner.

November 3, 2008 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Patsyk said...

What a great room for a teenager! I bet she just loves it!

Pumpkin butter sounds like a great addition to the holiday gift baskets. Nice idea!

November 3, 2008 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Michele, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I canned half and froze half. I'll throw away the canned jars. It was so easy to make, I'll have to make more about a week before Christmas! Again, thanks for the info. :) I edited the post!

November 3, 2008 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Polka Dot Moon said...

Hi Megan,
Great room makeover! And I love the idea of a little spike in the pumpkin butter!
Just to let you know that I've made this recipe a ton of times and have never had any problems canning it in a hot water bath. Maybe if you were starting off with "fresh" pumpkin? I've had some requests for it for Christmas :)
Have a great week!
Denise

November 3, 2008 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Polka Dot Moon said...

Oh and I do a hot water bath both before to sterilize the jars and lids and after the jars are filled to seal them :)
Denise

November 3, 2008 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Michelle in Colorado Springs said...

Canning pumpkin butter or mashed or pureed pumpkin is NOT recommended.
Home canning is not recommended for pumpkin butter or any mashed or pureed pumpkin or winter squash. In 1989, the USDA's Extension Service published the Complete Guide to Home Canning that remains the basis of Extension recommendations today, found in the September 1994 revision. The only directions for canning pumpkin and winter squash are for cubed pulp. In fact, the directions for preparing the product include the statement, "Caution: Do not mash or puree." More information can be found here: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/pumpkin_butter.html

This is because it is not acidic.

November 3, 2008 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

You will always have my undivided attention when you mention Grand Mariner! I am going to try your recipe, great Christmas idea.

The bedroom looks like it is a HGTV makeover...what a beautiful job you did and the colors are fantastic!

November 3, 2008 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

I never had a fun growing up. I have a somewhat fun room now in my apartment, but really it's just a bunch of my junk on the walls haha I should probably take pictures (minus the floor *cough*)

The pumpkin butter actually sounds easy. I've never canned before, so maybe I'll try that first, although some of your readers says not to.

November 3, 2008 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Oh Megan, what wonderful memory-making moments with your daughters room. My own daughter is 19 now and we've redone the room several times. I too had trouble letting go of the little girl stuff.

The pumpkin butter sounds delicious. And yes, I'm already working on Christmas gifts. Putting together some cookbooks, crotcheting some care bears for the girls in the family, my baking, I will start that Thanksgiving weekend. But I sure would love to try making this pumpkin butter. Thanks for the recipe. Hugs.

November 3, 2008 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger stephchows said...

wow this looks great!! I'm going to write this down and make some as part of christmas gifts for sure! I've already jarred apple sauce as part of gifts and this will be a great add on! thanks!

November 4, 2008 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

The room looks awesome! I am loving the pumpkin butter recipe! Thanks!

November 4, 2008 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

This sounds delicious. {The bedroom looks great!}

November 4, 2008 at 7:42 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I love the new room! You're so creative! and I don't know if I'm on your list, but I want a Christmas basket of goodies!! I've been salivating over all your wonderful creations from a distance and I want to taste some of them for reals!

Love you! Tell Kellie I said hi!

November 5, 2008 at 12:10 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

What a difference! The new room looks great, and perfect for a teenager!

This pumpkin butter sounds delicious!

November 5, 2008 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

Ya'll did such a good job. It looks so cool!

November 5, 2008 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger brettinsky said...

I am printing this one! I might just make this tonight! Thanks for sharing-I love recipes that I can make and give, and that I know will get eatin up!

November 12, 2008 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger brettinsky said...

I got so distracted by the pumpkin butter I forgot to mention your daughters room! You can tell her that the colors are so much fun! They aren't too bright at all. And they work well together!

November 12, 2008 at 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home