Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Vegetable Pot Pie

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vegetable Pot Pie


When I was first out on my own, pot pies were a staple in my little homes. They were cheap, easy, and I loved them. Then as I got older, they were dropped from the shopping list. I got a microwave and didn't have the time to bake a pot pie. I was single, stupid, and always had a place to get to. A microwaved whatever was quicker then the beloved pot pie.


I have never made a pot pie from scratch before,
so when I heard that Deb from Kahakai Kitchen picked Vegetable Pot Pie
for this weeks Barefoot Bloggers challenge,
I was thrilled. Thrilled I tell ya.
This would make a perfect Sunday supper.


I made my filling but I omitted the saffron due to the spice was nonexistent in my cupboard.
I also left out the asparagus and the pearl onions.
Oh yea, and I substituted white wine for the Pernod.
I don't even know what Pernod is,
do you?

I rolled out the dough which came together very easy.
Then I made these adorable little pies.

So proud I was!


Pot pies take about an hour to bake,
so I took the opportunity to sample the wine.

Look at that flaky dough!


Want a little closer look?


See the filling bubbling through? It's done!


And dinner is served.


Time to dig in!

This was a wonderful recipe and got cheers from everyone.
The Hubby did ask where the chicken was. I thought about adding some, but, again, none in the house.

This recipe is not for the calorie conscience!
But... we wont go there. O.K.?



Vegetable Pot Pie
by Ina Garten

Ingredients
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks) I used one stick
2 cups sliced yellow onions (2 onions)
1 fennel bulb, top and core removed, thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups good chicken stock
1 tablespoon Pernod I used white wine
Pinch saffron threads Didn't have any
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 1/2 cups large-diced potatoes (1/2 pound)
1 1/2 cups asparagus tips Skipped this one too
1 1/2 cups peeled, 3/4-inch-diced carrots (4 carrots)
1 1/2 cups peeled, 3/4-inch-diced butternut squash
1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions (1/2 pound) Guess what? I skipped this one too!
1/2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
For the pastry:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
1/2 to 2/3 cup ice water
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Flaked sea salt and cracked black pepper
Directions
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and fennel and saute until translucent, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the flour, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Slowly add the stock, Pernod, saffron, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the heavy cream and season to taste. The sauce should be highly seasoned.
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Lift out with a sieve. Add the asparagus, carrots, and squash to the pot and cook in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain well. Add the potatoes, mixed vegetables, onions, and parsley to the sauce and mix well.
For the pastry, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the shortening and butter and mix quickly with your fingers until each piece is coated with flour. Pulse 10 times, or until the fat is the size of peas. With the motor running, add the ice water; process only enough to moisten the dough and have it just come together. Dump the dough out onto a floured board and knead quickly into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Divide the filling equally among 4 ovenproof bowls. Divide the dough into quarters and roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Brush the outside edges of each bowl with the egg wash, then place the dough on top. Trim the circle to 1/2-inch larger than the top of the bowl. Crimp the dough to fold over the sides, pressing it to make it stick. Brush the dough with egg wash and make 3 slits in the top. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling hot.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<



Labels:

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yours look really beautiful - nice work.

October 23, 2008 at 2:36 AM  
Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

What great pictures and perfect little pies! Glad you liked the pick!

October 23, 2008 at 3:45 AM  
Blogger rubybean77 said...

I have been wanting to make pot pies for a while. The crusts look PERFECT! You molded the tops PERFECTLY!!!

October 23, 2008 at 6:37 AM  
Blogger Veronica said...

Your pies look beautiful...I only wish I were as skilled as you at crimping the crust!

October 23, 2008 at 6:37 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Your piecrust is to die for. . I'm telling you to die for! Beautiful. Mine is not pretty but tasted good. I was in a rush by the time I got to the crust because all the chopping took so long. But it was worth it. Yours looks fabuloso.

October 23, 2008 at 7:09 AM  
Blogger chocolatechic said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Great job.

October 23, 2008 at 7:30 AM  
Blogger April said...

OOOHHH, this sounds really good!!

October 23, 2008 at 7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did an awseome job on your pies they look like pot pies you'd find in an upscale eatery. I'm not a pot pie person, but I would not turn down yours.

October 23, 2008 at 7:46 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

They look gorgeous! I love your crimping -- will ya look at that? I think these are so worth the time and effort that it takes to make them. I love your picture of the pot pie filling bubbling out of the crust -- you're trying to make me hungry, aren't you?

October 23, 2008 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

How beautiful! I’m a tad jealous your pastry dough is so perfect. Mine flopped, but the filling – OMG was it great! Lovely job!

October 23, 2008 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Patsyk said...

Oh, the thought of pot-pies really takes me back! Yum!

October 23, 2008 at 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look fabulous and I'm betting they were fabulous to eat.... I never follow recipes that go overboard on butter or creams....I'd be dead in a year with my inherited cholesterol readings... plus who wants to break the new bathroom scales... I always leave things out on purpose or figure out substitutes... ... recipes are just a guideline..... think I'll make some healthy pot pies tomorrow... tonight's is already in the marinade.. Vindaloo ...

October 23, 2008 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Cynthia's Blog said...

I needed the chicken, but I had some in the house....

Your pies are delovely.

October 23, 2008 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger kate said...

megan! those are gorgeous little things! nice work!

October 23, 2008 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Megan, what a delicious pot pie. I like that you made small individual ones. That is so cool. I also like that they are vegetable pies with no meat in them. Great going Missy!

October 23, 2008 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Gloria Chadwick said...

Your pot pies are adorable! And I also love your meatloaf from an earlier post. Please come and visit my blog. You've won an award! :)

October 23, 2008 at 2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love it! How cute. I would have taken the spare time to sample the wine too...
~Cat

October 23, 2008 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger Reeni said...

Their gorgeous! Your crust looks awesome. I have never made one either, but now I want to!

October 23, 2008 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

These are gorgeous Megan!! I love pot pies and shepherds pie.. some of my favorite winter meals. But I have to confess, I still leave frozen pot pies in the freezer for my kids who sometimes exhibit hunger without patience.. actually a lot of times they exhibit this behavior!

Hugs to you!

October 23, 2008 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I can't stand eating those pot pies from the box. I wonder if I could make these and freeze them so I can have a quick meal? Hmm. They do look delicious! I would make mine vegetarian and throw in all kinds of veggies.

October 24, 2008 at 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now those look like ulitimate comfort food. Its dishes like this that make me actually want to shovel snow for an hour just to come inside, change in to warm flannel jammie bottoms, and look forward to eating one of these creamy, steamy meals!

October 24, 2008 at 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pernod is a licorice liquere that is big in Europe. Kind of like ouzo for the greeks. I think you were much better off with the white wine. You did good!
Karri

October 24, 2008 at 8:07 PM  
Blogger Gloria Chadwick said...

Megan, I've tagged you with a foodie scenario. Please come over to my blog to see what it is. And please bring your meatloaf. :)

October 25, 2008 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger glamah16 said...

Love, love, love your new look. And that pot pie looks outstanding. I would have gone with wine too, over Pernod.

October 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Wow those look awesome!!

October 26, 2008 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

A yummy pot pie on a cold days sounds perfect!

October 26, 2008 at 9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yours look so good. and i totally agree that they are the perfect Sunday dinner. i made mine today and loved it!

October 26, 2008 at 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home