Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Picadillo Navideño: It's Not Just For The Holidays

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Picadillo Navideño: It's Not Just For The Holidays

Have I got a good meal for you!

I worked all day, went to the grocery store, and still came home with the time, the ingredients, and with enough energy to make this dinner.
For my weekday meal, all I needed was one skillet.


I just browned up some ground beef (ground turkey would work here) with onion and garlic. Then some cut up potatoes and carrots joined in on the sizzle. I added a little beef stock at this point just to keep the juices flowing.


The original recipe has beets in it, but for my family, I thought it might be better to skip the beets for the first time. I was already worried about the raisins, pecans and cinnamon. You see, the daughters palate isn't quite up to parr. It's still growing along with her feet.
(Gasp) Did I say that?


This was great by itself but The Hubby said it would be good
rolled into a burrito or scrambled in some eggs.

This savory yet slightly sweet dish is traditionally served during the holidays. But, it's not just for the holidays in my home.
I'm making it my first installment of my new series,
Weekday Dinners.




Aprovecho, A Mexican-American Border Cookbook.
This cookbook was done with the intention of having it passed on from generation to generation. As our world is constantly changing, it is getting harder and harder to pass on cultural traditions. This cookbook encompasses both sides of the border with stories and legends that are unique to the Southwestern region of the country. It also contains Dichos (Proverbs), a chile glossary and 250 delicious, simple and easy to follow recipes.
ht:Mexican-American Border Cooking



This recipe is in the new cookbook written by my friend Teresa. To get a sample of her wit and humor, visit her at Mexican-American Border Cooking Blog. As for me, I'm off to Amazon to order her cookbook. One for me and one for a Christmas gift.

Light bulb Moment: This would make a great gift with some cinnamon and/or cumin spices, pecans, and a box of raisins in a basket with a sticky note on this traditional Christmas dinner!

Picadillo Navideño

1/2 pound medium beets, chopped (I didn't use any beets)
3 pounds ground beef (I used approximately 2lbs)
2 tablespoons olive oil (I didn't use any)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 carrots, chopped (I used 2 but wished I used 4)
3 to 4 small potatoes, cubed (I should of used many more)
1 cup raisins (A handful?)
1 cup chopped pecans (I forgot them and I'm still kicking myself)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cumin (I used what was left in my cumin jar) (note to self: buy more cumin)
salt and pepper
Cook beets in water until tender reserving the liquid. Heat oil in a skillet and saute the meat, onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Once the meat is no longer pink, add the carrots and potatoes and cook until semi done then add the beets, raisins, pecans, cinnamon and cumin. Cook for 10 more minutes. Add some of the reserved liquid if you see the dish getting too dry. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Enjoy!

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Glenna said...

Yum! Looks like something my family would like too. I agree with your hubby about the eggs. Hey, you could have several variations to match your mood and pantry supplies.

November 6, 2008 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Megan, you are such a love. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are certainly a fine cook and friend. I hope you enjoy both books, they were written from the heart. BIG,BIG hugs.

November 6, 2008 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger Reeni said...

It looks delicious! I love one skillet meals, especially at this time of the year. The cookbook is gorgeous. I went to Amazon and sneaked a peek. I'm going to order one too.

November 6, 2008 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

The ingredients for this dish are very similar to my empenadas recipe! Except the beets! You can make a pastry dough, cut them into circles, fill them, egg wash them, stuff them with your picadillo navideno recipe, seal them, egg wash the tops and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, bake and enjoy!! :)
Hey, sorry I haven't been by lately. I have been so busy and then our internet has been down. It's good to see you again my friend!! Hope your well..
Hugs!!!

November 6, 2008 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger rubybean77 said...

Why is this a Christmas recipe? It looks so good it should be eaten year route...beets not included. :)

November 6, 2008 at 7:14 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

So you don't put it in a tortilla? Interesting. This sounds like a meal I can make at school, beets optional. I love fresh beets but it depends if I have any on hand to add.

And what about this new series of yours? Are you going to pick one day and post a weekday dinner? Or you just post whenever it is a weekday?

November 6, 2008 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger April said...

This is something that my family probably would not eat,they are so picky!!, but I think that it looks delish!! Girl, I am so looking forward to your weekday dinners!!

November 7, 2008 at 6:52 AM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

You just found the next Christmas present I'm going to demand someone buy me. Thanks! Being in South Texas, SW cooking is all we eat, really!

November 7, 2008 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Gloria Chadwick said...

I agree with your Hubby. This would make a great breakfast taco--maybe using chorizo instead of ground beef. Tell us more about your "Weekday Dinners." Are they going to be easy, one-pot meals?
BTW, I just tagged you with a meme. Come on over and see what it is. :)

November 7, 2008 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Wservir said...

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
We would like to add it to the Ptitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com (more than 30 000 visitors per day)

To add your site to the Ptitchef family you can use http://www.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to http://en.petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Octávio
www.petitchef.com

November 8, 2008 at 11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Kellie like this dinner? It looks really good but not sure if everyone would like the raisins and cinnamon. I'm glad you are doing weekday dinners. I never know what to make for dinner, always just make the same old thing. Hope you're doing good. Love to look at what your cooking. Judy

November 9, 2008 at 6:13 AM  
Blogger glamah16 said...

I agree with hubby too. With the beets it reminds me of something CS eats in Sweden. A hash with beets.

November 10, 2008 at 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home