Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Chocolate Chipotly Cinnamon Truffle: Part Two

Monday, December 17, 2007

Chocolate Chipotly Cinnamon Truffle: Part Two


Today's inspiration came from a candy bar.

A Vosges Red Fire Exotic Candy Bar.
The texture of the chocolate on the palate, the evolution of flavors in the mouth. In what order do they reveal themselves to you? Sweet cacao, fruity and acidic with spice rounding out the finish. Watch how the chili warms you after you have swallowed.
ht:vosges

I just wanted to just buy the candy bars and melt them down for the middle of the truffle. .
But at $7.00 a pop, I had to come up with an alternative. So I made my own. I first added 1/2 a teaspoon chipotly chili powder to my chocolate mixture. Do you know how scary that was? I didn't want to ruin my beautiful ganache. But it actually needed more! I ended up using 3/4 teaspoon of both cinnamon and chipotly powder. Next time I'll go for a whole teaspoon of both.

I let the chocolate mixture set in the fridge for a couple of hours but it was still really soft. It was a mess rolling them into balls but that wasn't surprising. Next time I will roll them and then let them sit in the fridge overnight before dipping.
Again because I used chocolate transfer sheets, I had to flatten the tops. They melted a bit when I dipped them.
They turned out a little bit to big and were a little sloppy looking. They didn't fit in my little paper cups very good so I think I'll have to make a second batch. The flavor you ask? I am soo happy with the results! The sweet chocolate with a hint of the spicy cinnamon and the heat of the chili's. These would go excellent with a glass of red wine.
Edit: Typing out the recipe, I realized I only used 4 tablespoons of butter. No wonder my ganache was so soft. I'm off to make that second batch. Correctly this time!

For the Ganache Filling:
12 oz. good-quality bittersweet chocolate
1 cup heavy cream
4 oz. (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon chipotly chili powder

Melt chocolate, butter, and cream in the microwave. Stir till smooth. Add cinnamon and chipotly powder. cool. Refrigerate till firm enough to roll into balls. Dip in melted chocolate

For the Dipping:
2 lb. good-quality bittersweet chocolate




.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Lunch Buckets said...

A second batch? What a shame!!! Guess you'll have to eat the first batch :(

December 17, 2007 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger April said...

These sound wonderful! I am afraid to try with the chili powder, but I think that I will take your advice and try them! They look great too!!

December 18, 2007 at 5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so impressive! I really want to learn how to make candies, it's one of my projects for the upcoming winter break at school. I love the combination of chocolate, chipotle and cinnamon in these candies too... yum!


Ari (Baking and Books)

December 18, 2007 at 5:14 AM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

How did you do the tops with the multiple colors? They're just lovely and so suggestive of what's inside.

December 18, 2007 at 5:36 AM  
Blogger BC said...

These truffles look fantastic. Have you tried coconut and curry? It's an amazing chocolate combination.

December 18, 2007 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

lunchbucket-Two batches, but I'll get it right.
April-Try them, there amazing!
Ari-Give it a try, its really not hard!
Alanna-Chocolate transfer sheets come in a wide variety. Aren't they great?
bc-that will be next years flavor!

December 18, 2007 at 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, they look really good,neat transfers, can't wait to taste them.

December 18, 2007 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Sneige said...

Hallo!
What wonderful truffles! ow did you manage the "prit" on top of them?
They look fab!

December 19, 2007 at 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are so festive and fun looking! Love them with the chocolate transfer sheets. The perfect color/design for the chocolate chipotly cinnamon Truffle.

December 21, 2007 at 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home