Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Ricotta Pound Cake

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Ricotta Pound Cake



There's another fantastic cookbook up for grabs.
The book is called Dolce Italiano By Gina DePalma.
Gina is the Executive Pastry Chef at the restaurant Babbo owned by Mario Batali
As part of the contest, five fellow bloggers are each posting a recipe from this book on their assigned day for two weeks. Did you get that? If not, click here for details.
For the contest, you just have to comment. Every comment is a ticket in the drawing. Plus you get a recipe from the new cookbook! That's 10 recipes in all.



Sognatrice of bleeding espresso made this cake and said
"I *LOVE* this cake. LOVE THIS CAKE".
I knew I had to try it. And I'm so glad I did! It was fantastic. The texture was so smooth. I felt like it was just melting in my mouth. Definitely a recipe worth trying! I took half of this cake to the girls at the Y.M.C.A. Well girls, What did you think? Is it a keeper?

Ricotta Pound Cake
1 1/2 c cake flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt

3/4 c unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 c fresh whole-milk ricotta
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 vanilla bean
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Confectioner's sugar for dusting


Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C) and place rack in center.

Grease and flour 9-inch loaf pan.

In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.

In a separate bowl, cream together butter, ricotta, and sugar until smooth and light.

Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping sides of bowl after each addition.

Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with the blunt side of a small knife, then beat them into the batter along with the vanilla extract. On low speed, beat in dry ingredients to combine them, scrape down sides of the bowl, and beat the batter for 30 seconds on medium.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth top with a spatula. Tap pan on counter a few times to remove air pockets.

Put cake in oven and let bake for 15 minutes, then turn 180 degrees to ensure even browning. Lower the temperature to 325°F (160°C) and let bake until cake springs back when lightly touched, the sides of the cake have pulled away from the sides of the pan, and a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes more.

For some reason, mine took another 35 minutes, so do keep a close eye on it.
Allow cake to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then invert it on wire rack to cool completely. Mine came right out of the pan like no other loaf I've made before--the browned outside is key here.

Dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.

Check out these other recipes from Gina's new book!

Dolce Italiano Chocolate Kisses
Dolce Italiano Mosaic Biscotti
Dolce Italiano Chestnut Brownies

Perfect with a cup of Espresso!





.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I'm so happy you liked this cake too--I really don't think you can go wrong. Who *wouldn't* like this? ;)

And such lovely photos! Brava!

November 30, 2007 at 2:57 AM  
Blogger eatme_delicious said...

Mmm that cake looks good. And with the way you talked about it, I'm going to have to save the recipe! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog.

November 30, 2007 at 6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum and a yum and a yum yum yum!!! Thanks for sharing. Had I known you were going to give it all away I would have had more!

December 4, 2007 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I'm sorry Karri, But I did offer it to you first!

December 4, 2007 at 4:37 PM  
Blogger Dolores said...

I made this for a holiday potluck at work and wow. Wow. WOW.

December 6, 2007 at 8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Megan

I chose to make this for Taste & Create, and I've just posted my blog entry. My effort doesn't look much like yours :-) But it tastes great!

March 21, 2008 at 6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just made this cake today for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I took followed the directions exactly and took the cake out of the oven 30 minutes after turning it 180 degrees. The cake had the "spring back" feel to it, moved away from the sides of the pan, and the toothpick came up semi-clean. I usually take my cakes out slightly early so they are very moist. After turning the cake over on the wire rack to cool, the entire middle fell out since it wasn't done cooking.

I tasted the part of the cake that was done and it was DELICIOUS. So much so, that I went out and bought more ingredients to make it again. I just pulled the second one out of the oven - left it in for 40 minutes this time and it looks better already.

This cake is a must! Just make sure you leave it in around 40 minutes past turning it 180 degrees.

November 26, 2008 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Maris said...

I bet this is so moist and delicious! I love ricotta cheese - and who doesn't like cake? :o)

December 17, 2008 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I make a ricotta cake that is not a pound cake. This is a nice recipe and I am going to try it!

January 9, 2009 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Oh I made this cake and it did not come as beautiful as yours. :(
I think I have to try again...
I am drinking coffee as I type this and a slice of that gorgeous cake would hit the spot!

January 10, 2009 at 12:30 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I found you by way of Closet Cooking and I love ricotta cookies and I MUST try this!

January 15, 2009 at 3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not tried this recipe yet but another recipe that I make for pound cake takes 50 to 60 minutes to bake because it is so dense in the middle.

February 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely cake, moist and heavy... did I mention moist? However, I had two different things happen. On the first three attempts, I had to bake the cake over an hour. Still the cake came out quite nicely golden brown and delicious. Then for whatever reason, I tried the recipe on 8-29-2009 and the cake came out within the allotted time. The only difference I could see was that the ricotta was extremely cold... as in close to freezing and I added one half of the salt directly into the egg, sugar, butter mixture and the other half in the flour and baking powder mixture.

When I make this recipe I have to make two of them as one cake will not last over 24 hours in my household.

August 22, 2009 at 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home