Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Chocolate and Rose: A Valentine Nanaimo Bar Recipe

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Chocolate and Rose: A Valentine Nanaimo Bar Recipe

First, let’s get the required verbiage out of the way, shall we? Here it goes!

The January 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Lauren of Celiac Teen. Lauren chose Gluten-Free Graham Wafers and Nanaimo Bars as the challenge for the month. The sources she based her recipe on are 101 Cookbooks and www.nanaimo.ca.

BUT!nanaoima bars 012 copy

I’m a naughty girl.

I didn’t follow the rules.

I didn't make my own Gluten Free Graham crackers.

But, in my defense,

I didn't want to miss out on all the fun. I have wanted to make these bars since I first saw them on our trip to Victoria Canada. It’s been 2 years! So I couldn’t let life, time and a batch of Celtic free cracker stand in my way.

Could I?

nanaoima bars 021 copy

I used store bought graham crackers that were sitting in the cupboard!. It made it easy to whip up this batch!

And with Valentine’s Day right around the corner, how could I resist trying a rose and chocolate combo?  I couldn’t!

So I made a batch trying to incorporate Rose Water into the middle cream layer. I never seem to use enough of this flavoring. I’m always afraid I’ll use too much, and it will taste perfumed. So again, my flavoring went undetected. I used 2 capfuls which was about 1/2 a teaspoon. O-well, it was a nice try, don't you think?

nanaoima bars 020 copy

I also had difficulty with the top layer. As you can see, it wasn’t the prettiest. I really think if I had used the right pan, an 8x8 inch pan, it would have worked out better for me.

nanaoima bars 006 copy

The pan I used was a little bit bigger resulting in not enough topping to spread evenly and my layer's were a little thin. But I wanted to use this flower shaped pan so I could it into hearts and give them away. Sweet deal!

I told Barbara they looked better upside down. She told me to be daring and present them that way.

So I did!

nanaoima bars 015 copy

 These are a delicious, no-bake bar that is fast and simple.

In my so humble opinion, one of life’s “Must Try”!

Nanaimo Bars

(Printable Recipe)

 Bottom Layer

1/2 cup (4 ounces) Unsalted Butter
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
5 tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa
1 Large Egg, Beaten
1 1/4 cups Graham Wafer Crumbs
1/2 cup) Almonds (Any type, Finely chopped)
1 cup Coconut (Shredded, sweetened or unsweetened)

Middle Layer
1/2 cup (4 ounces) Unsalted Butter
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons Heavy Cream
2 tablespoons  Vanilla Custard Powder (Such as Bird’s. Vanilla pudding mix may be substituted.)
2 cups  Icing Sugar                                                                1 teaspoon Rose Water (Optional)

Top Layer
4 ounces Semi-sweet chocolate
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) Unsalted Butter

Directions:
1. For bottom Layer: Melt unsalted butter, sugar and cocoa in top of a double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, nuts and coconut. Press firmly into an ungreased 8 by 8 inch pan.
2. For Middle Layer: Cream butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar together well. Beat until light in colour. Spread over bottom layer.
3. For Top Layer: Melt chocolate and unsalted butter over low heat. Cool. Once cool, pour over middle layer and chill.

Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Ahhhhh! It looks great upside down, especially with the rose on top! Such a fun idea to make them into hearts and give them away. Mine are in my freezer and I've been eating them partially frozen!

January 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM  
Blogger LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

the heart is a great touch and what a beautiful rose. i'm curious about the rose water you added, how did that mix with the chocolate flavors?

January 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Delicious Dishings said...

I love your modifications! I never use rose water because I fear the "perfumey-ness." It's good to know it's not so potent.

January 28, 2010 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger Peter M said...

The heart-shaped Nanaimo bar looks wonderful...bet you have to make two for Valentine's!

January 28, 2010 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger Cristine said...

So cute! Perfect for Valentine's Day!

January 28, 2010 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger ♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Ur Nana's are so so dang cute,jus my kinda bake..i have begun my heart shaped baking too....and with all the hearts around am so falling in love...with bars and cookies....
I love ur tweaks MEgan but i love everyhting u do....
CHeers and a love filled day....

January 28, 2010 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Upside down! And why ever not?!

January 28, 2010 at 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Cute... I love the heart shaped Nanaino bars... I had the same idea! I must admit, I was tempted to use some leftover store bought crackers that I had on hand.

January 28, 2010 at 1:26 PM  
Anonymous MaryMoh said...

Perfect for Valentine's Day! Looks very delicious but challenging to make.

January 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM  
Anonymous noble pig said...

Cute!

January 28, 2010 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said...

I buy a box of the Robin Hood mix everytime I go home to Canada. Now that I want to eat without premixes I've been lookin' for the recipe - thank you :)

January 28, 2010 at 6:25 PM  
Blogger Reeni said...

I've been wanting to make these for a long time too! They sound so delicious!

January 28, 2010 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger Heather B said...

So cute! Definitely a perfect treat for Valentine's Day. Great job!

January 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger teresa said...

i love your variation, so pretty and sounds delicious!

January 29, 2010 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Katy ~ said...

Megan, you crack me up; you definitely ARE a daring baker! Well done.

I hear you about the perfume-iness of rose water. A friend gave me rose jam, and it was as if I went out and ate right off my rose bushes. Tooooo much rose!

January 30, 2010 at 4:51 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Love your version!

January 30, 2010 at 7:17 AM  
Blogger tinyskillet said...

You're funny...you rule breaker you! That what I like about you! I love the way yours turned out. How did they taste?

January 30, 2010 at 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like them upside down, too. Very pretty.

I skipped this challenge, but after reading about your "cheat," I regret not doing the same. I didn't have time to make homemade graham crackers, and to be honest, I didn't want to buy all those different types of flour...

Nice job. Do you make your own rose water, or do you buy it?

January 30, 2010 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Love the heart shape and the smiley face - so cute! Yum. :)

January 31, 2010 at 12:09 AM  
Blogger The Double Dipped Life said...

The heart shape is so cute! I have this recipe in my folder to try... someday soon!

February 1, 2010 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger Ingrid_3Bs said...

You know me I'm all about the shortcuts when it doesn't cut into the taste.

They do look cool upside down.
~ingrid

February 1, 2010 at 5:17 PM  
Blogger Tasty Eats At Home said...

I loved these bars. Love the idea of using rose water to flavor the middle. I don't have much experience with it either, so I wouldn't be much help determining how much to use!

February 3, 2010 at 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your presentation upside down with a rose!

February 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home