Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Recipe for Mandarin Orange Chicken with Garlic and Thyme

Monday, January 18, 2010

Recipe for Mandarin Orange Chicken with Garlic and Thyme

Trying to keep it healthy when one has a huge sweet tooth is not an easy task. I keep dreaming of that Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake and all those Christmas cookies. Liqueur Soaked Pound Cakes and Macarons keep clouding my head.

Manderan Chicken w/Garlic and Thyme

But with the new decade upon us, along with those unwanted extra holiday pounds, I have been gathering delicious healthy dinner recipes instead of bookmarking all the fabulous goodies that I’ve seen floating around.    It’s a tough job…

but one I’ll gladly do for you.

BTW, you look like you lost weight! Yes?

Your looking good!

Manderan Chicken w/Garlic and Thyme

Today’s healthy choice is a delicious Mandarin Orange Chicken that I made in the Crockpot.  It was so tender that it just fell a part. (As seen in photo) I had a few extra cans of oranges and a lot of garlic hanging around so I just dumped and cook. It was a winner with my family, which to tell you the truth, surprised me. My kind of weekday meal!

Manderan Chicken w/Garlic and Thyme

I served it with the Lemon Green Beans and Shallots that I found at Maria’s site, Two Peas and Their Pod. Thank you Maria for rounding out my dinner perfectly. It made for a snappy dinner that tantalized my taste buds!

Mandarin Orange Chicken

(Printable Recipe)

Ingredients

  • 1 lb - chicken breast, skinless & boneless (Thighs would be good here too!)
  • 1 - 8oz can - mandarin oranges,
  • 1 tbsp - Ginger, ground
  • 1 tsp – Salt
  • 5 cloves - garlic (minced)
  • 1/2 cup - orange juice
  • 1 tsp fresh Thyme
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch


Directions

Place chicken in Crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the cornstarch, to the Crockpot.

Cook on high for about 4 hours or on low for about 8 hours. Note: Times and temps will vary. I think I might have even started with frozen chicken.

Remove chicken and put orange sauce in a small sauce pan. Stir a little water into the cornstarch to make a this paste. Add to orange sauce and cook on medium heat till thickened. Spoon over chicken and enjoy!

Find the Green bean recipe on Maria’s site by clicking here!

Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Yea! I am so glad you liked the green beans. A great side to your amazing meal!

January 18, 2010 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger April said...

Both dishes look delish!

January 18, 2010 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

This is such a palate refreshing meal. The chicken looks fantastic and the green beans brighten the plate. This is a nice meal :-).

January 18, 2010 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

What a great meal! I love that you can just throw in frozen chicken breast in a crockpot and have a fabulous dinner at the end of a busy day.

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Katy ~ said...

Yum, yum, yum. Love orange and chicken. I am singing your praises!

January 18, 2010 at 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Jessica @ How Sweet said...

That chicken looks delish! I always need new ways to spike up chicken.

January 18, 2010 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

This looks lovely!

January 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

It sounds perfect! And the fact that it's easy makes it even better.

January 18, 2010 at 3:45 PM  
Anonymous noble pig said...

This has my mouth watering, it looks fantastic!

January 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger teresa said...

as guy fieri says, winner winner chicken dinner! i love this, and i know what you mean about the sweet tooth, late nights are when i'm dying!

January 18, 2010 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

I bet I would love this. When I use to eat Healthy Choice frozen dinners as way to lose weight (didnt work for me), my favorite was chicken a l'orange. Loved it.

January 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

This looks like a perfect midweek dinner! Oh yea-I really need the low cal entrees right about now!

January 19, 2010 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

You are doing so good with your goal Megan! I love everything with orange flavors in it. This is a delicious and healthy meal.

January 19, 2010 at 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mandarin orange glaze sounds fantastic on the chicken, a delicious and healthy meal!

January 20, 2010 at 6:04 AM  
Blogger La Table De Nana said...

Megan! Bonjour! I also stumbled upon your post re Land's End pillows..the allergy free ones..I have to look into one my next trip to the US..did you ever get one? are they comfy?

Happy to see your blog!

January 20, 2010 at 6:50 AM  
Blogger stephchows said...

I wish I didn't have a fear of leaving my crock pot on while I'm not home LOL I have still not used it because of this fact! I think the house is going to burn down LOL

January 20, 2010 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

I am making this next week. I love the idea of leaving it at least once a week - delicious. Green beans are a taste treat.

January 23, 2010 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger ♥peachkins♥ said...

I need light meals like this....thanks for the recipe..

January 23, 2010 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

I made it today and it worked llike a charm. Nothing left. Nada. A nice change from all the Italian I do! Scrumptious and light.

January 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home