Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Monday, January 11, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

PB cake 003

Yesterday was my daughters 15th birthday! I had grand plans for her birthday cake but I was pretty much shot down at every corner.

“Just make cupcakes, mom” is what I kept hearing. Doesn’t she know I’m a food blogger who loves to bake the sweet treats?

PB cake 012 copy

I was thinking of a Zebra Cake  to look like this or maybe this cute little hand bag purse cake. But, it didn’t go my way.

PB cake 012 copy

When I first saw this sweet little cake at Bakerella, I knew I had to make it someday. I guess I got lucky, the brat  darling daughter agreed to it. A six inch  Chocolate Buttermilk Cake with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups chopped up in the batter with a Chocolate Peanut Butter Ganache for the frosting. And of course another umpteen PB cups to cover the whole shebang!  Now that was a cake!PB cake 010

And we got baby cakes too!

PB cake 013

It was one of the easiest cakes I ever made!

Want to know why?

PB cake 014 copy

It all starts with a Devils Food cake mix!

Ohh…  you could make a scratch cake,

but I didn’t.

 

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

1 Devil’s food cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups chopped peanut butter cups (plus more for garnishing)
8 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 9-inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. Line with wax paper and coat paper.

In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil on low for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides after 1 minute. Fold in 2 cups of the chopped peanut butter cups.

Pour batter into pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Cool cakes completely.

Place chopped dark chocolate in a medium bowl. Bring cream just to a boil and then pour over chocolate. Whisk until chocolate melts. Add peanut butter and whisk until smooth.

Trim each cake layer so the tops are flat. Place one layer on a cooling rack and pour 1 cup frosting on top. Spread evenly with a spatula. Add second layer and pour remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Smooth out with spatula.

Allow frosting to set for about 5-10 minutes and gently press remaining chopped peanut butter cup pieces all over top and sides of cake. Place in refrigerator for about an hour to set. Remove and serve.

Megan’s Notes-I used 1 bag of the Reese’s Dark Chocolate PB cups in the batter and  1 container of Trader Joe’s tiny PB cups for the garnish.

Labels:

27 Comments:

Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Megan, this is a cake both my kids would absolutely love. So simple and so delicious.

January 11, 2010 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger April said...

Megan, it looks wonderful!!! So wish I would have been there to get a baby cake!

January 11, 2010 at 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Jessica @ How Sweet said...

I made a cake like this I found on Picky Palate and it was SO GOOD!!

January 11, 2010 at 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Quasi Serendipita said...

That looks amazing, I love peanut butter :)

January 11, 2010 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Coach J said...

I can hear my beau drooling already. He LOVES Reese's. I wonder what I could get him to do for this cake...

January 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger SissySees said...

Ooooh! I might have to make that one for me, me, ME!!

January 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM  
Anonymous noble pig said...

Oh my word and Happy Birthday to your daughter.

January 11, 2010 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter!! This cake is gorgeous with all the little itty bitty pb cups. It looks like a kids' dream for a cake and I bet I could put away a few slices too ;D It looks sinfully delicious!!

January 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Kasha said...

I stopped by to tell you about my blog, but you don't need any inspiration at all! This cake looks incredible. What a fabulous blog and I am so glad I found it!

Kasha
www.grubandstuff.blogspot.com

January 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

Oh, my goodness! This looks and sounds amazing. No I just need to find a reason to make it :-).

January 11, 2010 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger teresa said...

what a lucky girl, these look out of this world!

January 11, 2010 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Spectacular cake! She's so lucky to have a food blogger mom!

January 11, 2010 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Peggy Clyde said...

My daughter-in-law's favorite cake is chocolate and she absolutely loves peanut butter cups. This will be her birthday cake in June. Thanks so much.

January 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This looks incredible! I am not sure I know where to get Reeces Peanut Butter Cups in UK since Woolworth's went backrupt, they were the only place I knew to get Hershey's stuff too.

January 11, 2010 at 3:14 PM  
Blogger Katy ~ said...

Happy birthday to your dear daughter!

And what a celebration cake!! Fun, delicious, and chocolate and peanut butter.

You are totally an awesome Mom for doing this.

January 11, 2010 at 5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A spectacular cake, love the pb cups on it! Happy birthday to your daughter!

January 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Nutmeg Nanny said...

Oh my gosh oh my gosh! This looks amazing!

January 11, 2010 at 6:12 PM  
Blogger Kerstin said...

Oh wow, I'm drooling over here - that cake looks amazing! Happy birthday to your daughter!

January 11, 2010 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Smitten Sugar said...

That cake looks great! I bet your daughter liked it so much after she saw it! :)

Happy Bday to her !

January 12, 2010 at 6:52 AM  
Blogger stephchows said...

from scratch or not... it looks amazing!!! I heart PB cups :D

January 12, 2010 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger Reeni said...

This looks absolutely divine! PB cups are my fave. I may have to make this for my upcoming Birthday.

January 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Donna-FFW said...

Happy Birthday to your little one. What a gorgeous gorgeous cake. She musy have been thrilled. It looks fantastic, and you cant beat pb/chocolate combo!

January 12, 2010 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

This looks amazing! Love the ganache/PB combo! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

January 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I can see the smile on a teenagers face with a cake like that. It's like a giant bomb of sweetness on her birthday.

And pretty easy too with the box mix. They come in handy sometimes :)

January 13, 2010 at 5:33 AM  
Anonymous Karen said...

Oooo, I love it! It just screams, "time for a party"!

January 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM  
Blogger Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This must be the dream cake of every kid and possibly every adult.

Your cupcakes came out so delicately and the cake stood for itself.

January 14, 2010 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger Ingrid_3Bs said...

Looks good, Megan! I made this cake for Father's day not long after Bakerella posted it and my Dad loved it. My frosting didn't really set up for me. Yours looks fine though. I liked your baby cakes.
~ingrid

January 18, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home