Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Coconut Rum and Amaretto Liqueur Pound Cakes

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Coconut Rum and Amaretto Liqueur Pound Cakes

Liquor Cake

During the holidays, I participated in a Secret Santa gift exchange. It was hosted by the magnificent Joy, author of Gourmeted,  Thank you Joy!!!

She sent everyone a “Santa Baby” name and address so we could send something fabulous, whether  it be homemade or bought,  And in true Christmas style, it wasn’t about the money, it was about the thought!

I received my package from the lovely Lindsey who writes the blog Scoop: Adventures in Ice Cream. It’s all about ice cream and she has some good looking scoops that I’ll be trying during the hot days of summer.

She sent me some delicious homemade Cowboy Cookies that didn’t last long in my house. My daughter even said, :You should get the recipe for these mom!” So Lindsey, if you wouldn’t mind? :)

Cowboy Cookies

She also sent me some killer candied nuts that had a hint of orange and pepper. They were good right out of hand but I managed to sprinkle some on a salad for a light killer lunch.

Candied Nuts

And look at this adorable apron! 

chineese food 011

Yep!!! She sent me that too.

Thank you Lindsey for being my Secret Santa and for  the wonderful things you sent. I loved them all.

Now!

Who and what did I send my Secret Santa Baby you ask?

My package went to the talented Amy of She Wears Many Hats.

Among with some other things, I sent her a pound cake!

And not just any pound cake!Liquor Cake

It was Coconut Rum Soaked Liqueur Pound Cake!

It’s a rich and delicious cake soaked in liqueur. Because they store well unrefrigerated, they make perfect gifts to leave under the tree or to send to friends far and near.

caramel bars 002

I made  Coconut Rum and Amaretto Pound cakes.

But they would be equally delicious if you used an orange liqueur or hazelnut. You can even make chocolate ones and use a coffee liqueur. So many options!

spoons 010

You could even make them now. Then you could have a few little loaves for Super Bowl and save some for Valentines Day. Trust me, it would be a  a win win situation!

caramel bars 007

Liqueur Pound Cakes

  • 1 1/2 cups butter, at room temp.
  • 1 pound powdered sugar
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 3/4 cups cake flour
  • Liqueur Syrup (recipe follows)

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter till creamy. Sift powdered sugar, gradually, add to creamed butter beating untill mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Gradually mix flour into creamed mixture.

Scrape batter into four 3 1/2 x7 inch loaf pans. Smooth top of batter.

Bake at 300 degrees until a wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean (about 50 minutes). Let cool in pans on a rack for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of each pan and turn cake out; immediately return cake to pan. With a wooden skewer or a fork, poke 1 inch deep holes all over the top of the cakes. Immediately pour equal amounts of liqueur syrup over each cake. Let cool on rack for about 30 minutes.

Liqueur Syrup

In a 2 to 3 quart pan, combine 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup, and 3/4 cup water. Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer. Continue heating, without stirring, until mixture comes to a boil. Cover and continue to boil until sugar is dissolved and liquid is clear-about 1 minute. (If you don't cover the pan and if you stir while syrup boils, crunchy sugar crystals will form in the finished cake)

Remove from heat, uncover, and let stand until it’s slightly cooled (about 5 minutes). Stir in 1 1/4 cups rum or almond, hazelnut, or orange flavored liqueur. Use; or let cool, then cover and let stand at room temperature till the next day. Makes 3 1/2 cups.

Chocolate Liqueur Cakes

Follow directions for Liqueur Pound Cake, but decrease powdered sugar to 3 cups. Combine butter and sugar, then add 5 ounces melted semi-sweet chocolate. Cakes will develop a thin crisp top crust as they bake.

Prepare Liqueur Syrup as directed, but decrease water to 1/2 cup and increase rum or liqueur to 1 1/2 cups. Options include almond, hazelnut, orange, coffee, or chocolate flavored liqueurs. As syrup soaks through cake, top crust will soften. 

 

Note: Wrapped and stored in a cool area, they will last for up to 2 weeks. In the refrigerator, up to 1 month, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.

Labels: , , , , , ,

23 Comments:

Anonymous Lindsay said...

Megan, your pound cake looks awesome! Too bad I wasn't your secret santa baby:) Thanks for the shout out and I'm so glad you loved everything. Did you receive the cowboy cookie recipe in your inbox? If not, e-mail me and I'll send it again. Happy New Year!

January 7, 2010 at 9:29 AM  
Blogger Delicious Dishings said...

What a cute idea. And the poundcake looks fabulous! I think I would love the chocolate liqueur one!

January 7, 2010 at 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Jessica @ How Sweet said...

Ohmigosh - I think you made this with me in mind. I LOVE coconut rum. It is my go-to drink. This sounds amazing!!

January 7, 2010 at 10:05 AM  
Anonymous noble pig said...

What a fun exchange and wow that pound cake. Now that's a gift.

January 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger April said...

Love the apron!!! I have some amaretto that is dying to be used up! This will be perfect!

January 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Krista said...

I love this idea and the recipe sounds wonderful! I'll have to give this a try...now I just have to decide which liquer to use!

January 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM  
Anonymous MaryMoh said...

Love everything here...cake, cookies, apron! Love how you packed it...looks gorgeous.

January 7, 2010 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow look at all those pound cakes. You were really busy! I like coconut, rum and amaretto a lot so I bet this tastes amazing.

January 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger tinyskillet said...

Everything looks fantastic! I want to do Secret Santa next year! but you had me at coconut rum and amaretto! Oh it looks so good!

January 7, 2010 at 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Joy said...

You are so welcome! I'm so happy to hear and read about the fabulous stuff everyone got! The cake will definitely be made soon in my kitchen. Wow. I think this would even be perfect to still send as a Happy New Year gift. :)

Thanks so much for participating! You got some awesome loot from Lindsey, too. :)

January 7, 2010 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Whoa, you got a really sweet secret Santa! Good for you, everything looks really cool, I even dig the apron... as much as a guy can dig aprons :)

Snow weather bring pound cake, don't you think?

January 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Oh my - the title caught my eye first - but the cake looks so amazingly simple, and I especially like the fact that it's loaded with liqueur. I'm saving this for sure!

January 7, 2010 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Donna-FFW said...

What an absolutely lovely gift idea. Id love to try one, sounds delicious!

January 7, 2010 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

I envy the apron, 'the most'..... Yummy they all are..... OWNER'S PRIDE
NEIGHBORS ENVY...... Very true...

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

January 7, 2010 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Cristie said...

Love the apron, so cute! I saw this cute little sticker on your darling box of delicious pound cake that said "home made"- where did you find those?

January 8, 2010 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger stephchows said...

OMG over the top YUM!!! and you got so many cute things from your santa!!! too cute!

January 8, 2010 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Reeni said...

The pound cakes look so scrumptious! So moist and delicious! You wrapped them up so pretty too.

January 8, 2010 at 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pound cakes must be absolutely fantastic with coconut, rum, and amaretto flavors! Beautiful!

January 8, 2010 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger teresa said...

mmmm, i want to eat that entire cake, it looks so good!

January 8, 2010 at 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Trissa said...

Thank you for sharing your pound cake recipe - it seems so versatile to be able to absorb different flavourings. The wrapping is gorgeous too!

January 9, 2010 at 3:53 AM  
Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Megan, Happy New Year! These look yummy. And, what wonderful gifts you got. I especially like that apron.

January 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger Karine said...

Great apron! And great pound cake too :)

Thanks for sharing!

January 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM  
Blogger test it comm said...

Coconut and amaretto sounds like an amazing flavour combo for a cake!

January 10, 2010 at 4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home