Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: HBin5: A Whole Grain Artesian Free Form Loaf

Friday, January 15, 2010

HBin5: A Whole Grain Artesian Free Form Loaf

 Today's post is the official start to the new bread baking club that is baking their way through the new cookbook Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. You may remember that back in November and December, we were given the bonus recipes of Pumpkin Pie Brioche and Cranberry Orange Challah breads to wet our whistle. Except remember, my challah was made with chocolate chips. Ooh, the warm memories!

HBinFive Badge Large

Anyway, were starting off the year with the Whole Grain Master Recipe. With this basic dough, we were to make a regular free form loaf of bread, an Epi, (a shaped loaf to resemble a wheat stalk), and Spicy Whole Grain Crackers.

Whole Grain Bread

 Can I first tell you how easy this is? It literally took me 5 minutes to mix some flour, yeast, salt, vital wheat gluten, and water in my dough bucket, Then you leave it for a couple of hours to grow.

Whole Grain Bread

 At this point you can use it right away or refrigerate it for up to 14 days. I choose to refrigerate it because it makes the dough easier to handle. Then you just form your loaf and bake. Bread baking does not have to be intimidating anymore!

Whole Grain Bread

 This was my first loaf. Basic but beautiful!

Whole Grain Bread

My next loaf I topped with a mixture of poppy, sesame, flax, and sunflower seeds. I really like the way this one looked and tasted with the seeds on top.

Whole Grain Bread

My third loaf was made for a friend as part of her Christmas present. Since she cant have seeds and nuts due to dietary restrictions, I sprinkled her favorite Italian seasoning on top. This is her first loaf in the bread of the month club that she will be receiving. I gotta share that bread baking love!

crackers

I didn’t make the epi, but I did manage to get the crackers baked. These were habit forming. Impressive yet easy, if I may say so myself!

crackers

I topped my crackers with an assortment of toppings.

I used;

  • Chili powder and kosher salt
  • Johnny’s Garlic Spread Seasoning
  • Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • Black Hawaiian Sea Salt
  • Salish Alder Smoked Sea Salt

A great big thank you to Michelle from Big Black Dogs for hosting our bread baking adventure. You can check out her blog for all the information and for a list of participants.

You can also check out the Artesian Bread in 5 Minutes A Day blog where you can find step by step instructions and the Whole Grain Master Recipe. They also have a lot of good recipes and ideas so take a look around. I want to make the Pizza Lollipops!

51-J%2BfIsJ-L__SL500_AA240_

To order your own HBin5 Cookbook, Click on the above cookbook!

To win a free copy of this book,

go to Simply Daily Recipes! Jill has 4 more copies to giveaway. Winner of the second book will be announced January 22. Good Luck!

I hope you enjoyed my adventure in bread. Wait till you see what we have cookin’ for the end or the month. Something tells me your gonna like it. Just a little tease!

Labels: ,

32 Comments:

Blogger Coach J said...

It is sooo tempting to buy this book. But do I really need to eat more bread? (The answer, of course, is yes)

January 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Heather Baird said...

I want bread that I can put together in 5 minutes. I'll have to get the book and try this! Thanks for sharing, the seeded bread is especially beautiful!

January 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger stephchows said...

such a good book! I need to make another batch up soon :)

January 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Love your addition of the Black Sea Salt! And your loaves are wonderful...love the bow!

January 15, 2010 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Great bread! The crackers look absolutely divine! I have to make them the next time I mix up a batch of dough!

January 15, 2010 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger April said...

OH, it is beautiful!!

January 15, 2010 at 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Angelicooks said...

Loving the bread, I make my own so that was an enjoyable read.

January 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM  
Anonymous noble pig said...

I make that bread..every single day...well not the healthy one ut just the artisan bread.

January 15, 2010 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Those are some beautiful breads and your friend was very lucky to receive one from you.

Great assortment of seasonings for your crackers!

January 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger tinyskillet said...

The bread looks fantastic! It looks like something I might even be able to bake! I'll have to check out the books.

January 15, 2010 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger teresa said...

your HBi5 all turned out beautiful! i love the different cracker toppings you used!

January 15, 2010 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Mmm. I have the other book, but I really want that Healthy one!

January 15, 2010 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These breads look wonderful, I feel inspired to make more bread myself. I hope I can find that book in the UK.

January 15, 2010 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Katy ~ said...

Beautiful! A loaf to be proud of! Nothing like homemade bread. YUM

January 15, 2010 at 4:48 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

I've got to check out that book!

January 15, 2010 at 7:02 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Wow great job Megan. They all look fantastic.

January 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

It all looks great Megan! Your crackers are paper thin :D You did a great job on them.

January 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Your bread looks fabulous! I love the bread of the month idea!

January 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Megan said...

Must resist joining another group... must resist....
must resist!

Bread? Love it! I have the first Artin5 book and haven't utilized it enough since buying the BBA.

So much bread, so little time...

January 15, 2010 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Cristie said...

Great ideas for cracker toppings- I'm so amazed at the creativity in this group! It's fun to be baking with you.

January 15, 2010 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Coleens Recipes said...

VERY nice!! I love your bread proofing "bucket"...where did you find it?

January 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Your bread looks beautiful, Megan!
I am still just starting with the Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book. I'm going to try using whole wheat flour for the first time today. I hope it turns out well. I am always still so surprised at how well the recipes in this book turn out - especially when made by a non-baker like me!
Best wishes!!

January 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

What a gorgeous loaf. You did a really nice job with this.

January 16, 2010 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger chow and chatter said...

oh wow love your crackers and loaf of bread what a great gift for your friend, thanks for visiting my blog,

have a great weekend

Rebecca

January 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love your bread and I'm so jealous of your crackers! how fun with all those seasonings and they came out so nice and thin!

January 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Beautiful loaves and those crackers look delicious! I didn't make the crackers this time. Now I wish I had.

January 17, 2010 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Kerstin said...

Everything looks great! I definitely want to try and get into making more bread at home!

January 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Your bread looks great! I love your dough rising pictures too. :-)

January 18, 2010 at 6:10 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Your loaves came out wonderfully! And what a rise you got on your dough! I'm loooving baking through this book so far :)

January 18, 2010 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger La Table De Nana said...

Great job!

January 20, 2010 at 6:51 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Where did you get that dough bucket? Thanks!

January 21, 2010 at 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Trissa said...

I must say, nothing beats fresh bread straight from the oven!

January 23, 2010 at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home