Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Got Figs?

Friday, September 18, 2009

Got Figs?

labor day 09 017

I’ve been wanting to make a figgie jam, more for a condiment then for a jam. I’m having a wine pairing dinner party next month, and I thought this would be perfect to serve with my Fruit Stuffed Pork Loin. Plus it was something I could make in advance, and one more thing is out of the way. You see, I’m a planner!

labor day 09 018

This was so simple to make and so tasty, it’s made right in the microwave. You just make a small batch, about 2 pints at a time. I didn’t even can it, I just froze it till I’ll be ready to use it.

jam 002

It’s figgy, spicy, and orange flavored  all at the same time. It was perfect as a pork condiment, paired with some cheese (I used Brie and it was delicious), or just slathered on your bagel.

jam 008

If you have some figs that you need to use up, or if you just want a special treat, let me recommend this Spicy Fig Orange Microwave Jam. You wont be disappointed!

jam 010

Spicy Fig Orange Microwave Jam

found at Simply Recipes

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups diced fresh figs (6-10 figs, depending on the size of the figs)
1/2 cup seeded, peeled orange, diced
1 1/2 cups of sugar1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon butter

2 (8-ounce) canning jars

1 Place the ingredients in a large ceramic or glass bowl or casserole (we use a 2-quart pyrex measuring cup), stir to combine, let sit for 30 minutes for the fruit to macerate in the sugar.

2 Place in microwave. You will cook the fruit mixture on the high setting for approximately 15 minutes. As soon as the mixture starts to boil, after about 6 to 8 minutes, stop the cooking and stir. Continue cooking and stir every few minutes. At about 13 minutes the mixture should start to get viscous. If you spoon out a bit on to a small plate that has been in the freezer, you can push the mixture around a bit with your finger tip to see how thick it is. If it is runny, cook it a couple minutes more. You can also check by seeing how the jam runs off of a spoon. If it seems to firm up a bit as it drips, it's done.

If you use a large pyrex measuring cup or you can see that you start with close to 3 cups of liquid. You want to boil it down to 2 cups.

3 Pour out the jam into jars, leaving 1/4-inch of headroom from the top of the jars. If you want to keep your jam in a cupboard, then use sterilized jars. If you plan to eat up quickly and will keep them in the refrigerator, regular clean jars will do.

Elise’s Tip! Sterilized jars by heating them in the oven at 200°F for 10 minutes.

 

Foodie_Friday_Logo_2

I’m linking this up to Foodie Friday

hosted by Designs by Gollum

23 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

I've never had fig jam. Looks fantastic. ONE WEEK to go! I can't wait to meet up!

September 18, 2009 at 8:45 AM  
Blogger susan said...

If I can still find figs I am definitely going to make this. I serve pork loin all the time and it sounds perfect with it. I have very fond memories of eating figs with milk and sugar for breakfast at my grandmother's house. She always had fig jelly too! Thanks for the recipe and good luck with your party!

September 18, 2009 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger Rattlebridge Farm said...

This sounds superb. We cook pork loin every week--and we love brie. Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe. I'm buying the ingredients today.

September 18, 2009 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

What a gorgeous addition to the table. It will be perfect with your pork loin. This really sounds wonderful.

September 18, 2009 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Patricia @ ButterYum said...

What a perfect pairing for pork! I love the idea... might have to make some. I found wonderful figs in my town the other day. Thanks for the inspiration!

September 18, 2009 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger stephchows said...

mmmmmm i love fig jam! still have never made it though... those suckers are $$

September 18, 2009 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh fig jam is fabulous! I may have to try this, as I love fig jam, and it's hard to find.
thanks!
Cass

September 18, 2009 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger bj said...

I love figs with a passion...especially fresh, right off the fig tree...or bush...or whatever it might be . My mom had a fig tree and we never made jam or jelly...we ate them all.:O)

September 18, 2009 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger ~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Figs are not so common around here.
Some grocery stores have them but I have never purchased them. I do eat them off the tree at my friends house down south. Yummmmm
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

September 18, 2009 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Figgie Jam with Fruit Stuffed Pork Loin sounds very uptown! It looks delicious!

September 18, 2009 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Reeni said...

I love figs! And I love how easy this is!

September 18, 2009 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger Joyce said...

Party in my mouth with this recipe:)
Joyce

September 18, 2009 at 7:05 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Looks great! I've been looking at figs in the market and I think I better grab some up!

September 19, 2009 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger tinyskillet said...

This looks like a jam recipe that I can make! I still haven't made jam. So I have a question, how can you tell a good fig from a bad one? Not a pretty fruit:) but you make it look pretty.

September 19, 2009 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Coleens Recipes said...

I am just starting to go in to jam making mode (as hubby calls it) so I was very happy to find your recipe. Thank you.

September 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Nutmeg Nanny said...

This looks great! I bet on the pork it was super delicious:)

September 19, 2009 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This looks delicious; I love how easy it is to prepare. Thanks for sharing. I would love for you to join me at Crock Pot Wednesday on diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com.

September 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

That looks delicious. I have never had fig jam, yet figs are my favorite fruit!

September 20, 2009 at 5:27 AM  
Blogger Katy ~ said...

I've never had fig jam. Sounds soooo perfect with pork loin. My stomach is growing!!

September 20, 2009 at 6:29 AM  
Blogger Krista said...

Figs are so expensive here that I haven't picked any up, but this makes me want them! It looks wonderful...and I have leftover pork loin in the fridge right now!

September 20, 2009 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger RecipeGirl said...

I'm lucky to have a friend who has a fig tree bursting with fruit. We absolutely love figs, so this recipe is appealing to me for sure!

September 21, 2009 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Figs are just amazing. That's the only word I really have for them. If it's good enough for pork and toast, it's good enough for Adam :)

September 21, 2009 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger Proud Italian Cook said...

Love this! I always buy a small jar at Whole Foods, I would definitely try this, it's so easy!

September 22, 2009 at 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home