Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Molasses and Spice, and Everything Nice!

Monday, September 14, 2009

Molasses and Spice, and Everything Nice!

 

spice cake 016

 It’s Martha Monday and we bring to you a beautiful cake to celebrate the upcoming season.. Molasses Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and a Brown Sugar Glaze. Whew, that’s a mouthful.

 

 spice cake 013

 I was pretty excited that Pru from My Life: Pru Singer picked this cake for Martha Monday. It seemed the perfect recipe for the season. It was good, and I enjoyed making it:

but I wasn’t really that fond of it. I hate to say that but…

In my opinion, the cake was a little dry. With 2 sticks of butter in that baby, I don’t want that dry mouth feel. I liked the flavor of the cake, but not so much the frosting.

The frosting was too sour with the addition of sour cream and it only has half a cup of sugar (in the recipe). And did I mention another stick of butter and cream cheese? I have to admit, I upped the sugar in the frosting to 1 cup. To sour for me!

This cake is a dietitian’s worst nightmare! Let’s just say there is more butter and sugar in the glaze.

 spice cake 021

BUT:  Did you noticed how much we ate. Guess it wasn’t that bad! ;)

Would I make this recipe again. Probably not.

I would much rather make my Pumpkin Pie SnickerdoodleBars.

(And for the record, I gave the rest of this cake away!)

mondays

Molasses Spice Cake

Makes one 9-inch cake

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • Pinch of ground cloves
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup sour cream, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
  • 3 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from 1 to 2 lemons)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
  • 1 1/3 cups packed light-brown sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9-by-2-inch round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment, and butter the parchment.
  2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream, molasses, ginger, lemon zest, and vanilla.
  3. Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the sour cream mixture.
  4. Scrape batter into prepared pan, and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack, remove parchment, and turn right side up. Let cool completely. (Cake can be wrapped tightly in plastic and refrigerated for up to 1 day.)
  5. Spread frosting over top of cake. Drizzle with glaze. Serve immediately.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Makes enough for one 9-inch cake

  • 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Beat in sour cream, then sugar and salt. Frosting can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 day; bring to room temperature, and stir well before using.

Brown Sugar Glaze

Ingredients

Makes enough for one 9-inch cake

  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. Heat butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Add cream, vanilla, and salt, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and let cool until thickened. Use glaze immediately.

17 Comments:

Blogger ---a--- said...

Your cake looks wonderful - very artistic with the glaze. Did the sweetness of the glaze not combat the sourness of the cream cheese (I unfortunately ran out of brown sugar to be able to make the glaze).

Thanks for trying my suggestion for Martha Mondays - I will try to find a sweeter cake for next time.

Pru

September 14, 2009 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

That is a lot of butter. I don't know if I can do this one:) It is pretty though!

September 14, 2009 at 8:45 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

That is a lot of fat for one cake! It's a good flavor combination though.

September 14, 2009 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Lyndas recipe box said...

Wow, with all those ingredients it should have been moist...but I'm with you; I don't like dry cake and the frosting does need more sugar since it contains the sour cream. But it looks gorgeous, Megan...you did a fantastic job!

September 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger tinyskillet said...

Yours look beautiful. I agree with it being dry, but I liked the flavor. Mine is flatter, maybe I beat it too much :) or it could be my round cake pan, it's 11" maybe too big.

September 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger stephchows said...

It looks good, but sounds like I'd be in for your pumpkin instead!!

September 14, 2009 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Reeni said...

This sounds so good, especially with the cream cheese icing. What a bummer that you didn't like it!

September 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

That is one gorgeous looking cake. Once in a awhile will never kill us. I'm a member of a sliver of the really good stuff school rather that a piece of a substitute.

September 14, 2009 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger Coleens Recipes said...

That second photo is a knock out!!

September 14, 2009 at 11:25 PM  
Blogger April said...

I agree that I will probably never make this again. Yours looks great, though!

September 15, 2009 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

Molasses in a cookie works for me.. A new one for me today- banana carrot cake.. wish me luck!

September 15, 2009 at 5:53 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Ha you brought up a VERY good point... if it was that dry, well you still ate quite a bit of it :)

Gotta love the fall flavors, though... this is my favorite time of year.

September 15, 2009 at 6:10 AM  
Anonymous noble pig said...

Wow, it looks impressive but looks can be deceiving sometimes...and yeah a lot o'butta'.

September 15, 2009 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger Katy ~ said...

Boy, oh boy, the ingredients sound fantastic. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you; it certainly looks like it took a lot of work to put it together and then only to be disappointed.

September 15, 2009 at 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Nutmeg Nanny said...

Wow lots of butter! I like the idea of the cake but sorry to hear it didn't turn out how you expected. I know the feeling.

September 15, 2009 at 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cake looks gorgeous and the flavor combination sounds great, but I'm sorry it wasn't quite perfect as you expected.

September 16, 2009 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Ingrid_3Bs said...

Bummer about the cake. It did look wonderfully decadent with the brown sugar glaze dripping and pooling down the sides.
~ingrid

September 17, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home