Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Martha’s Apple Honey Challah Bread

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Martha’s Apple Honey Challah Bread

challah and cookies 009

I was excited when I saw that this weeks Martha Monday challenge was this Apple Honey Challah bread. Looked like the perfect bread to make on a stay at home Labor Day weekend. So I started early in the morning, thank God, because this pretty little loaf is a true time consuming recipe. A sweet bread with big chunks of apples, this loaf and I had our problems

challah 003

  1. The soft dough. Could have been because I took the lazy mans way and did the 10 minute kneading with the dough hook on my Kitchenaid. I added about1/3 –1/2  cup more flour because it was so wet. I knew if I kneaded it by hand I would have incorporated at least that much into the dough by hand.. So I had a very soft and sticky dough.
  2. The rise. It didn’t seem to really “double” like it was suppose to. But I had plenty of dough so I wasn’t too worried.  I did questioning the “life” of my yeast and it did concern me at the time. And did I mention there was three, count them, three rises.  That was what made this recipe sooo time consuming.
  3. The sliced apples. They wanted to poke and fall out of the dough when I was trying to knead them in. I just got tough and showed that dough who was boss. It’s nice to have the large slices of apples but next time, I’ll chunk mine up a bit. I also added a sugar-cinnamon mixture on my apples. The recipe did not say to do that, but I just couldn’t help myself. I thought it really needed that extra oomph.
  4. The Honey Butter. I brushed all my butter honey on top before baking not realizing that I was suppose to save half of it for when it came out of the oven. I thought it looked like it was drowning in a sea of butter. Oops! I did brush some extra on top when it did finally come out. No worry!

challah and cookies 011

The bread turned out wonderful! It was sweet but not overly so with nice slices of apples throughout the loaf. I enjoyed the cinnamony goodness that came from the extra oomph that I gave the apples. It was moist and dense like an egg bread. I toasted mine for breakfast, it was dynamite!

challah and cookies 037 

I hope to make some French Toast out of a few sliced this weekend if I can keep my grubby paws out of it.  :)

Thank you to Sara of Sassy Suppers for picking this recipe. I truly enjoyed this one!

marthamondays

Apple Honey Challah Bread

recipe by Martha Stewart

  • 4 oz. (1 stick0 unsalted butter, plus more for the bowl,pan, and plastic
  • 3 1/2 unbleached bread flour, plus more for surface
  • 3/4 warm water (100 degrees)
  • 2 large eggs plus 3 large egg yolks
  • 2 teaspoons dry active yeast (from one 1/4 oz envelope)
  • 2 teaspoons course salt
  • 1 1/2 green tart apples.Preferably Granny Smith cut into 1/4 inch slices (about 1 3/4 cups).

Directions!

image 

image

21 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Megan, this bread looks wonderful! Sorry that you had a little trouble, but it still turned out!

September 8, 2009 at 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a delicious challah! How perfect with apples & honey, I'm bookmarking this for sure!

September 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger Ingrid_3Bs said...

Sounds delish and that last photo is outstanding!

Glad you won the battle and showed it who was running the show!
~ingrid

September 8, 2009 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Sounds great! I'm sure it will make a fabulous french toast!

September 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM  
Anonymous George@CulinaryTravels said...

Oh my goodness, this looks amazing. I will try it but am thinking to make pain perdu with it, extra berries on the side.

September 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Lyndas recipe box said...

This bread looks wonderful, Megan! I'm bookmarking this one!

September 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Coleens Recipes said...

I hope you post about making French toast with this Challah bread (or maybe bread pudding?) Looks wonderful.

September 9, 2009 at 1:42 AM  
Blogger Pru said...

This looks really great Megan. Am glad you liked the recipe. It looked great turned into toast.


Pru

September 9, 2009 at 2:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the idea of adding cinnamon to the apples. I might have to try that next time along with smaller apple pieces :) My husband kept snitching pieces yesterday and ruined my chances of making french toast out of it this morning :( I'm glad you liked it!

September 9, 2009 at 7:21 AM  
Anonymous Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love challah bread but with the added apple and honey it has to make it amazing!

September 9, 2009 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Reeni said...

What a sweet treat!! Love the apples and cinnamon. French toast would be heavenly!

September 9, 2009 at 8:03 AM  
Blogger stephchows said...

THREE rises?? you have more patients then me! that's for sure :)

September 9, 2009 at 9:54 AM  
Anonymous noble pig said...

I was wondering about this recipe as I saw it in the magazine this month. I tore it ot and thought I'd give it whirl. Wondered about the apples too, I will cut them smaller.

September 9, 2009 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Megan this looks delicious. I love apples and I love bread, so why not put them together? I am definitely going try this.

September 9, 2009 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Katy ~ said...

Megan, this bread is gorgeous! I must make this~apples and honey, just so lush! And to see it toasted, I am just drooling!!

September 9, 2009 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger BumbleVee said...

trust Martha...if anybody else makes things..they would only let it rise twice max.... but, she has to do three....

oh, well...at least it tastes and looks great..... good job...and I would add cinnamon too... maybe even a tiny sprink of ginger, nutmeg and allspice...

September 9, 2009 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger theUngourmet said...

Very pretty loaf! I love apples in bread. I love honey in bread too! ;0)

I found a recipe yesterday for Honey apple cake that looks good.

September 10, 2009 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks wonderful. It's being saved for future use.

September 10, 2009 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger glamah16 said...

Hey there. I'm a making this now. I too uses the KA and dough hook. I had to add more flour, but still had a wet dough. The writes should have given direction if that was how it supposed to be.Im just on the first rise, so we shall see. Would be awesome as fench toast.

September 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read the article. Thank author for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

November 18, 2009 at 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

November 19, 2009 at 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home