Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Half Baked or Baked Half? The Dobo Challenge!

Friday, August 28, 2009

Half Baked or Baked Half? The Dobo Challenge!

This months Daring Baker challenge was the Dobo Torte.

First, let’s get the required verbiage out of the way,

Here it is!

The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful
of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos
Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite
Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

dobo cake 043

The Dobos Torte is a six-layer sponge cake, filled with a rich chocolate buttercream and topped with thin wedges of caramel. Depending on family recipe, this cake can be anywhere from six to twelve layers.

This is where my problems begin.

I made this cake just like the directions said. I was trying to mark parchment paper, fill in the circle with batter and get it into the oven. You see, this not an ordinary layer cake. Oh no! You don't use cake pans. You make your layers on parchment paper. Thin like crepes. It was bit overwhelming to say the least. But I was going for it, filling circles, baking them for a few minutes while trying to fill more circles and getting cake layers off the paper to cool just to turn around and put more batter on parchment. You see what I mean? Overwhelming! And I knew at the end of my layer making , I was a layer short. I was suppose to have six layers.

dobo cake 046 BUT… when all was finished and done (with the layer making and baking) I turned around, and I only had 4 layers. I was two layers short.

How did that happen???

I still don’t know. I guess we’ll have to rack that one up to a brain fart. I hate when that happens.

So I figured I had two choices. I could

A. make another batter and go through the torture they call layer making, or …

dobo cake 050

B. I could make half a cake!

dobo cake 059

Well… that was a no brainer. Considering I only have three in my family, I didn’t need more batter and I didn’t need a WHOLE HUGE CAKE! (I really don’t even need half a cake!)

dobo cake 055 So I cut my four layers in half and got an eight layer cake half! I avoided problems there!

Delighted I was, with the fast thinking I did on my feet, (Yea, right!)

I started my frosting.

Problems?

Ugh, yeah!

I was making my frosting, doing great, had a all this volume going with the egg mixture. Then when it was time to add the chocolate, everything went flat and runny. I don’t think that was quite right (duh) but I just continued and then put it in the refer and let it chill. It worked out in the end and it was really tasty. (Thank the frosting Gods!)

dobo cake 063

My caramel turned out ok but it was a little intimidating.

It’s the grand finale of the Dobo Torte! No pressure there.

All in all, I’m glad we got the chance to make this cake.

Would I make it again?

Probably not.

My daughter liked the cake part but not the topping.

The Hubby liked the topping the best.

Me?

I didn’t think it was worth the time or calories. But it was a great challenge and a wonderful learning experience.

And isn’t that what the Daring Bakers is all about?

dobo cake 064

If you would like to try this torte and would like the recipe, you can go here!

To check out the other Daring Bakers Dobo Torte, go here!

I would also like to thank Barbara from Barbra Bakes for baking this challenge with me via Twitter. It’s nice to have a sounding board and it also helps to chase away the procrastination. Thank you Barb! I enjoyed our baking and your friendship!

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Despite the challenges along the way, your Dobos Torte looks great! Mine didn't turn out quite the way I had hoped, either... but it was a good challenge.

August 28, 2009 at 6:39 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Thanks for including me in your post! I definitely think we need to bake together again! So much more fun. Although my son didn't like it because I wouldn't let me use the computer all afternoon.

It was definitely quick thinking on your part! Your frosting looks fudgy and delicious! Nice job!

August 28, 2009 at 6:57 AM  
Blogger Deeba PAB said...

Love it, I just love it. Can't get over the fact that u made just half a cake...& it came out TOPS!! Brilliant!!

August 28, 2009 at 7:27 AM  
Anonymous Janet Ryan said...

megan that turned out great. I like the way you did the caramel instead of the crazy ones we saw. I was wondering how yours turned out. You deserve a pat on the back for making cake, it looked really hard.

August 28, 2009 at 7:58 AM  
Anonymous Holly said...

Your cake turned out great! I am impressed you could make only half a cake, mine slid around a lot and I made the whole cake. Great job!

August 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger April said...

Megan, it looks great!!!

August 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger Jennifer, A Self-Confessed Foodie said...

It looks fantastic. If you lived nearby I'd volunteer to help taste-test it. :)

You never know if you're going to like it or not until you try it! Good on you undertaking something so amazing!

August 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

i truly commend you for how much time that must have taken, lol

i have no patience when it comes to cakes and things like that .. i gotta REALLY be in the mood

August 28, 2009 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

You did a great job on the challenge and from what I've read lots of other people experienced problems with the sponge and caramel. You can make a notch on your belt and move on to the next challenge.

August 28, 2009 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger Katy ~ said...

No growth without challenge.

You did most excellent!

August 28, 2009 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

I'm impressed. I would have pitched a fit and thrown it out.

August 28, 2009 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Coleens Recipes said...

Quite a few of the recipe pages I visit joined in this challenge and almost everyone said it was indeed a challenge. Yours looks lovely.

August 28, 2009 at 5:21 PM  
Blogger Ingrid_3Bs said...

It looks terrific! That was quicking thinking on your part.Kudos!
~ingrid

August 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on this complex challenge! Your dobo torte looks excellent!

August 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

What a challenge! I love your half-cake idea. The whole thing seems to overwhelming, but your end result is really impressive!

August 29, 2009 at 12:05 PM  
Anonymous kellypea said...

Definitely time and calories in this one for sure. Love the shot of the almonds all splinkered over the cake. But yes, those layers were high maintenance, weren't they?

August 29, 2009 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Reeni said...

You did great with improvising and making a perfect half cake! It's beautiful!

August 29, 2009 at 5:28 PM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

Looked like a lot of work- but was beautiful and tasty, I'm sure! I have a digital read thermometer for candy or deep frying- reads the heat right to the needed degree...

August 30, 2009 at 6:06 AM  
Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Clever thinking Megan. I've been having to re-learn my cooking skills for just two since my daughter went away to college. I've been halfing recipes and freezing stuff. But this, I like. It looks pretty in half.

August 30, 2009 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just joined the Daring Bakers and am looking forward to finding out the new challenge tomorrow. Maybe I can commiserate with you if I'm having problems. You did a great job putting this thing together!

August 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Louise | UPrinting.com said...

Baking just half of it was a smart move. :)
I think I've read from Bakerella something like this. A 12-layer cake? Well, you can try that out if you're up for it.

September 2, 2009 at 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home