Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Fondant and a Wedding Cake

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Fondant and a Wedding Cake

I've been thinking of fondant a lot lately. I've never used it before or even tasted it for that matter. I saw CakeJournal decorate sugar cookies with rolled fondant and Love-Sweet-Love made some awesome looking homemade marshmallow fondant. I was thinking it was time for me to take the dive. The fondant dive. Well about diving time, I got a phone call. My friend is getting married in 2 weeks (that was a week ago)and will I make the wedding cake. I've always wanted to make a wedding cake! (it's a small wedding) So to my sheer delight, I said yes! But, I did reserve the right to go buy a Costco cake if mine flopps. A little safety net if ya know what I mean! So I took a little trip to the craft store. $85.00 later, I was ready to dive in.


Remember, I'm a fondant virgin. Baby steps for me! I went with simple flowers to start with. I tried a rose, but they will take a little practice and frankly, I don't have the time to perfect roses before this wedding.


My plan for this wedding cake is a two tiered cake with each tier having 3 or 4 layers. I won't know till I assemble the cake if 4 layers will be to high or not. The bottom tier will be a 9"vanilla cake with a white chocolate cream filling and the top tier will be a 6" vanilla cake with lemon filling. I'll decorate with pastel yellow and pink fondant flowers. And pretty pastel pink hearts aroung the sides of the bottom tier. I bought a little wedding cake topper for the top.


We made lots of little flowers on our first try today. We will use some of these to decorate some cupcakes I will bake tomorrow. I'll be making more flowers for the wedding cake. It was just like playing with play dough. Roll, cut, and shape with this little stick tool. Easy!

.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger April said...

I have never worked with fondant either. Good luck on the cake. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

February 18, 2008 at 5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those little flowers are so sweet! I want to try fondant too...someday!

February 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM  
Blogger Patsyk said...

I have always wanted to learn to decorate pretty cakes. I haven't tasted fondant either, but the flowers look so pretty I don't think it matters! Good luck with your cake and I can't wait to see the final results! I need to get brave and jump in like you did and do a cake just for fun.

February 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Geggie said...

Whoa! Beautiful first try!

So, I'm not really a fan of the flavor of fondant, but my fave bakery in Phoenix (where I used to live) does a very thin layer of fondant over a thin layer of butter creme. Now that's good. Check it out... www.tammiecoecakes.com

The "draped fondant" is beautiful. I had a friend's wedding cake that I was going to decorate at my house, I was doing real flowers on the draped fondant. My parents were in town and I was busy doing something else when I heard and "OH CRAP!" out of my dad in the kitchen...he thought it was a napkin on the cake and tried to "take it off"! Nothing some strategically placed flowers can't fix!

Good luck!

February 18, 2008 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger glamah16 said...

For a fondant novice your very good. I have been taking Wilton classes this year.Warning it becomes addictive. A better tasting fondant is Satin Ice which you can order online maybe at some Cake supply stores. I just posted about a 2 tire birthday cake I made this weekend.Also if you haven't found it cakecentral.com is a great resource. I could go on and on...:-).

February 18, 2008 at 9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your flowers are so pretty! I love the whimsical aspect of them. I am starting a cake decorating class tomorrow and I can't wait!

February 20, 2008 at 7:39 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

I am also a fondant virgin. Good luck with the cake! I'm going to be in my friend's wedding in January, but I offered to make cookie platters rather than the cake lol If she needs a last-minute cake, I'll have to come here and ask for pointers.

February 20, 2008 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger How To Eat A Cupcake said...

The flowers are cute. I can't wait to see this cake!

:)

February 21, 2008 at 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this is so exciting. I made my first and only fondant cake for a birthday brunch that we gave my Mother in law this past October. I spent ten hours putting it together, but it was great fun. Good luck with your project. I will look forward to seeing the finished cake!

Also,

I've tagged you for a game. You are not required to play. If you don't participate in games, or don't have the time, don't worry.

Also, your prize is ready to be shipped tomorrow morning. If you have not emailed your shipping address, please do so at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,
Cookie

February 21, 2008 at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home