Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Spanish Beef Dips with Carmelized Manchego Onions

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Spanish Beef Dips with Carmelized Manchego Onions

When I first moved back to Redding after a 9 year Hiatus, My new husband and I were living a newlywed life.
On my way to get the hubby a birthday gift on the eve of his birthday, the car I was a passenger in, got hit head on by a drunk driver. Back in those days, it wasn't the law to wear a seat belt. A good idea, I now know . I was hurt really bad and had to spend a few weeks in the hospital. Ruptured spleen, torn liver, many broken bones (ribs, foot and arm), and multiple contusions. It took a year before I could even wear a shoe. Those were hard and depressing times for me. Not to mention we had a fire destroy our business and smoke damage our house 2 months earlier.

I had a good friend, bless her heart, who worked down the street from where I lived. Every work day, she would go get lunch and bring it to my house. Together, we would eat and chat and shoot the breeze. I really looked forward to that hour.

Her favorite? French Dip. I think we tried every french dip in town. Many years have passed, and life has taken us down different paths. I only see her once in a blue moon. So in honor of friendships every where, I bring to you this recipe. I just wish I could make it for her. I wish I could make it for you. Its that good!

Spanish Beef Dips with Caramelized Manchego Onions
Recipe courtesy American National CattleWomen, Inc.
created by Patrice Hurd, Bemidji, Minnesota


Seasoning:
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 beef shoulder top blade (flat iron) steaks (about 8 ounces each)

Au Jus:
1 (13 3/4 to 14 1/2-ounce) can ready-to-serve beef broth
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chipotle pepper sauce

Onions:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium Spanish onion, cut in 1/2, thinly sliced (3 cups)
1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 loaf (1 pound) ciabatta bread (I used Dutch Crunch Rolls)
1/4 cup shredded Manchego cheese
1 tablespoon freshly minced cilantro leaves

Combine seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto beef steaks. Set aside.

Combine jus ingredients in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 to 18 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1 cup.

Meanwhile prepare onions. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, sprinkle with brown sugar and continue cooking about 10 minutes or until very tender and golden brown, stirring often. Remove from skillet; keep warm.

Heat the same large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 13 to 15 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes.

Preheat broiler.
Cut bread loaf in half crosswise; cut each half crosswise in 1/2 forming quarters. Split each quarter horizontally in half. Place cut sides up on rimmed metal baking sheet so surface of bread is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 30 seconds to 1 minute or until toasted and lightly browned.

Carve steaks into thin slices. Place equal amounts of steak slices on bottom portions of bread. Top evenly with onion and cheese. Close sandwiches. Ladle hot jus into cups for dipping. Sprinkle cilantro over au jus.

Cook's Tip: 1 pound boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 3/4-inch thick, may be substituted for shoulder top blade (flat iron) steaks. Pan-broil 10 to 13 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning once.

Cook's Tip: 4 crusty French rolls (about 2 1/2 ounces each), split, may be substituted for ciabatta bread. Toast and fill as directed above.





.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

I could see how this sandwich could get you through some hard times!

January 18, 2008 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Oh wow, sounds like you've been through alot. It's amazing how food can bring people together and get us through dark times. It sure does look good!

January 18, 2008 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

Hi Megan,

What a horrific experience! Sorry, you had to go through that.

As for the sandwich, "ooooooooh, that looks real GOOD!"

Pixie

January 19, 2008 at 12:43 AM  
Blogger BumbleVee said...

I tried the Eggnog loaf Megan...very tasty... the second one was even more delish than the first! tx for some great recipes...

January 19, 2008 at 3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...difficult times like you went through really help to put things in perspective, don't they? I'm so sorry you had to go through that. That being said, this sandwich looks phenomenal! I can see how it'd cheer you up! :)

January 20, 2008 at 2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow these sound amazing. Comfort food always helps me get through the rough time too.

January 20, 2008 at 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very good looking sandwich! I think I would be tempted to serve it on a tortilla though, I am trying to cut down on so much bread in my diet.

January 21, 2008 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

deborah-french dips and hard times!

carla-food is the center of good times and bad, dont ya think?

pixie- you should try it!

bumblevee- oh, I'm so glad you tried the loaf. Wasn't it womderful?

canarygirl-this sandwich could cheer up a lousy day!

Katie-gotta love that comfert food.

toothwhitening- It would be excellent on a tortilla. In fact, the meat ond onions were yummy on their own. No bread needed!

January 21, 2008 at 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice comment on friendship... and what a nice sandwich to go with it. :-)

January 21, 2008 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah Caron said...

Megan,
That sounds like it was an awful experience. What a great friend to be there for you like that.

And the sandwich sounds delicious.

January 22, 2008 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger Geggie said...

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

And that sandwich? Fab.u.lous!

January 22, 2008 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger April said...

This looks delish! Sometimes, I think that people that come into our lives, if only briefly, have to be angels.

January 22, 2008 at 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home