Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Mock Hostess Cupcakes

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mock Hostess Cupcakes


There is power in food. It can spark a memory or make you fall in love. This little cupcake reminds me of Valentines Day. Years ago, I made these minuture cupcakes for a valentine road trip/picnic. They were such a hit that I made them several years in a row. So to me, they are Valentine's food.


Ultra moist, dark chocolate mini cuppys are filled with a creamy white chocolate ganache. Dipped in a bittersweet glaze and decorated with a little royal icing.


I like to make the little hostess squiggle but you could decorate with some offset criss-crosses and add a whimsical flower. Perfect for tea time! Or Valentines Day!

You can see my piping skills sucked today. I used a disposible decorating bag instead of my usual pastry bag and tip. It just wasn't flowing the way it should have. But instead of stressing, I just went with the flow. No pun intended! My suggestion when making these, make the filling first. While it is chilling, then begin the cupcakes. The glaze and icing take no time and besides, thats the fun part.


Mock Hostess Cupcakes
From the cookbook
White Chocolate by
Janice Wald Henderson
Cupcakes
1/2 cup plus 2 TBS flour
2 1/2 TBS cocoa powder
(preferably Dutch process)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3 TBS vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
Filling
1 cup heavey (whipping) cream
6 ounces finely chopped white chocolate
Glaze
3 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
3 TBS boiling water
Icing
1 TBS egg white, at room temperature
pinch of cream of tarter
1/2 cup plus 2 to 3 TBS powdered sugar
Make the cupcakes:
1. Position a rack in the center and preheat oven to 325. Lightly butter 24 (1 ounce) mini muffins cups.
2. Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Mix in the sugar. Make a well in the center. Whisk in the water, oil, viniger, and vanilla. Blend till smooth. (The batter will be very thin.)
3. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups. Bake untill a cake tester inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean, about 12 to 14 minutes. Cool the cupcakes in the pan on a wire reck for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and finish cooling on the rack.
Make the filling:
4. In a heavey medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the cream to a boil. Add the white chocolate and remove from heat. Let the mixture stand briefly; stir till smooth. Transfer to a metal bowl and refrigerate until chilled thoroughly, stirring occasionally. With an electric mixer, beat the white chocolate mixture just untill fluffy. About 1 minute.
5. Transferr the filling to a pastry bag fitted with a 3/8 inch plain tip. Insert the pastry tip 1/4 inch into the bottom of each cupcake and squeeze a little filling into each one.
Make the glaze:
6. Place the chocolate in a small bowl. Whisk in the boiling water and blend till smooth. One at a time, dip the top of each cupcake into the warm glaze. Turn the glazed cupcake right side up and set on wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Refrigerate the cupcakes for 5 minutes or to set the glaze.
Making the icing:
7.In a medium bowl, whisk the egg white till frothy. Stir in the cream of tarter. Gradually mix in enough of the powdered sugar to make a fairly stiff and smooth icing. Fill a small paper cone with the icing and cut a 1/8 inch opening at the tip. Remove the cupcakes from the refrigerater. Pipe a design (a squiggle,spiral,etc,) on the top of each cupcake. Let the design harden and then cover and refrigerate the cupcakes. Serve at room temperature!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger April said...

These are so cute! I think that I will make them for my Easter Tea.

February 14, 2008 at 5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Megan, You are a runner up in my OHOW giveaway. I have a surprise gift for you.
Please contact me with mailing information.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and entering. I hope you will return often.

Sincerely,
CookieSunshine

February 14, 2008 at 6:43 AM  
Blogger Patsyk said...

Those are adorable! I'll have to mark the recipe as my boys would absolutely love those.

February 14, 2008 at 7:03 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

These are too cute! I love that they are so small too!

February 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Those look just like the real deal, I bet they taste better though.

February 14, 2008 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger bakeorbreak said...

How cute! Those certainly bring back some childhood memories....

February 14, 2008 at 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me?!!! Those look great. I've only seen them in high-end bakeries. I can't wait to try these! Thanks for sharing.

February 14, 2008 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Shana said...

Megan, I am hoping that you received your box, did you? Happy Valentine's Day!

And these look wonderful! Yummy!

February 14, 2008 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

april- they would be perfect for a tea!

cookie-Thank you, address on the way!

patsy-Thank you, let me know if you make them.

deborah-one bite cuppys.

julie-I like the little hostess squiggle.

jennifer- Thank you, the power of food!

Karen- if you try them, let me know what you think!

Shana-the box came today. Perfect timing! Thank you

February 14, 2008 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Yay, Hostess Cupcakes! And the best part is - you know exactly what goes in them.

February 15, 2008 at 7:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this look and sound divine...i will definitely have to try them out :)

February 15, 2008 at 7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Megan, I definitely want to try making these. They are so cute!

Also, I need your address. My email is Mail@Cookiesunshine.com

Thanks!
Cookie

February 15, 2008 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger Geggie said...

Ahh, yes, please! I'll take two!

February 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Cute, cute, CUTE! I love these!

February 17, 2008 at 2:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love hostess cupcakes, but these definitely look better. The exact measurement of 1-1/2 vinegar though? teaspoons?

February 17, 2008 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

geggie- they are bite size, have 3!

emiline- Thank you

foodhoe- thank you for catching that!
1 1/2 teaspoons vineger- and I fixed the recipe.

February 17, 2008 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Thanks, I'm definitely gonna save this recipe!

:D

February 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home