Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Raspberry Lemon Muffins with Double Struesel

Friday, May 22, 2009

Raspberry Lemon Muffins with Double Struesel

Have you heard the news?
BlogHer is having their very first foodie conference.
It's this September and it's open to all food bloggers. BlogHer Food 09

Held at the beautiful St Regis Hotel in downtown SanFransisco, food bloggers are getting together to meet new people, learn, eat, experience, have fun, talk and hang with new friends! Did I mention the food part?

AND I"M GOING!!!

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I get to meet some notorious bloggers and meet the people behind the blogs I frequent so often. I've got my ticket purchased, my hotel reserved, and a roommate all lined up. I'll be driving into the city with my co-pilot Maria from Two Peas and Their Pod and were rooming together the first night.
We are planning an early morning trip to the farmers market down on the pier before the conference and were getting some people together for dinner the night before. It's going to be a good time in the city! Are you going? Better get your tickets early because I hear they are going fast. You can register here!

Let's celebrate with these healthy muffins. Now these are a keeper!

I got my inspiration for these beauties from Stephanie. She is on a muffin kick, and when I saw her Blueberry Yogurt Muffins,
I knew what I was making.

Raspberry lemon yogurt muffins and I'm doubling the struesel!

These muffins are made with whole wheat flour, yogurt, and fresh raspberries. I used vanilla yogurt because that's what I had, and it needed to be used up! So I added lemon extract along with zest of a small lemon. Next time I'll use lemon yogurt and see if that pumps up the lemon some. You couldn't really taste the lemon quite as much as I would have liked. But the Hubby said he liked them just as they were! So there you have it!

A healthy muffin that is Hubby approved!

You gotta try it!

Raspberry Lemon Muffin with Double Struesel
Inspired from this muffin

1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup splenda granulated (or 1/4 cup white sugar)
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
dash salt
1/2 cup apple sauce
2, 6 oz containers fatfree or lowfat yogurt. (I used vanilla but next time lemon!)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract
zest of 1 lemon
1.5 - 2 cups raspberries, rinsed and patted dry

topping
2 tbsp slivered almonds
4 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup uncooked regular oats
Pulse almonds 2 or 3 times in a blender or food processor until chopped. Add brown sugar and 1 tablespoon flour; process 5 seconds. Add butter; pulse 5 or 6 times or until mixture is crumbly. Stir in oats; set aside.Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray 12 muffin cups with pam.In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.In another bowl blend apple sauce, yogurt, egg, vanilla and lemon extract thoroughly. Stir the wet mixture into the flour mixture just until combined. The batter will be very thick. Add the raspberries and stir gently. Divide the batter between the 12 cups (they will be very full cups) sprinkle with topping, and bake for 6 minutes at 425, reduce heat to 350 and continue cooking for 12-14 minutes, or until tester inserted into center comes out mostly clean. Cool completely on wire rack.











Bookmark and Share


Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Amy I. said...

These look great, raspberry and lemon is one of my favorite flavor combos!

May 22, 2009 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger April said...

Raspberry and lemon together are perfect!

May 22, 2009 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Reeni said...

What a yummy combo!! Love the double topping!

May 22, 2009 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Dude, I wanna go!! Too bad I live on the complete opposite end of the country. Have fun and blog all about it!

May 22, 2009 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

I'm so jealous! I would love to go to a foodie conference in San Francisco!

May 22, 2009 at 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Karen said...

Yummy looking muffins, but that pedestal plate is darling! Have fun in San Francisco.

May 22, 2009 at 11:07 PM  
Blogger Dragon said...

You can never go wrong by doubling the struesel! Yum.

May 23, 2009 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Megan, how wonderful to spend some time with some great foodies. I am so jealous. Maybe I can make it next time. Have a great time. Love the muffins.

May 24, 2009 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Steph inspired me to bake muffins too! I wish mine were her healthy version though. Now both of you make me want to try and bake a healthy muffin.

May 24, 2009 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger La Cuisine d'Helene said...

So fun that you are going. I'm still thinking about it. That will be such a great event. No wonder you made those beautiful muffins to celebrate.

May 25, 2009 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger The Charmed Life Online said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog, I am so glad to have found yours! The pear crostini sounds amazing, I can't wait to try it.

BlogHer sounds amazing, you will have so much fun. Please tell us all about it!

May 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger Shelby said...

How exciting for you Megan! Also, the muffins look awesome!

May 26, 2009 at 7:47 AM  
Blogger stephchows said...

OOOO Great combo! I'm so jealous you are going to that conference!! And I'm so excited you got inspiration from my muffin kick!!! Totally made my morning :)

May 26, 2009 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Hey Roomie! The muffins look great. I love raspberry and lemon together! I am SO SO SO SO excited for our Blogher adventure in September. I can't wait!

May 26, 2009 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Those look lovely, and that topping is great! I hope you have a fab time at the conference, wish I could come!

May 27, 2009 at 3:05 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

A woman after my own heart - doubling the streusel! YUM!

May 28, 2009 at 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home