Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: I Love Vanilla Beans!

Friday, May 2, 2008

I Love Vanilla Beans!

Recently I had a few people inquire about vanilla beans. On a recent trip to the supermarket, I priced these aromatic beans. One supermarket had two different brands of the gorgeous beans.
One brand was $9.99 for one bean. ONE BEAN!
The other was $13.29 for two beans. INSANE!

So, where do I get my vanilla beans you ask?

Online!

I have used the Arizona Vanilla Company on E-bay twice now and have been very happy with excellent quality and prompt service. Not to mention the steal of a deal I got. I almost feel guilty.

Almost!

I received my order of beans today.
I got 49 certified organic, grade A Madagascar Vanilla beans with shipping!

I won two actions.


15 beans@$2.26
1/4lb (34 beans)@$1.04
Combined shipping@4.50
Total:$7.80


That's a steel!!!

What will I do with so many beans? I'm making vanilla extract!

It makes a great gift for friends.

VANILLA EXTRACT

10-12 Vanilla Beans (cut into large pieces
2 Cups Vodka (cheap stuff is fine
1/4 cup simple syrup (1/8 c. sugar, 1/4c. water)
(The simple sugar is just to take the edge off the alcohol
Combine the vanilla and vodka in a large container with a tight fitting lid. Let steep at room temperature for 4-6 weeks, shaking it about twice a week. The longer the beans hang out in the vodka, the happier the extract will be! Strain through several layers of cheesecloth and then add the syrup if you wish. The extract will keep for several years


For more recipes using vanilla beans:
French Vanilla Cake
Ricotta Pound Cake
Vanilla Bean Thins
Bostini Cream Pie

**********************************************************************

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger glamah16 said...

Thanks for the tip. They can be expensive . Costco had some nice ones I purchased the other day. A good deal, but not as god as your. The possibilities are endless.

May 2, 2008 at 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genius! Genius I say! Vanilla beans are so pricey, they are reserved for the most special occasions in my home. And I could never justify putting them in something as trivial as a cupcake, until now. Great tip. I'm totally going to do this!!!

May 2, 2008 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Yep - I get ours from SF Herb Company and have friends bring them to us when they visit. We'll be stocking up a bit when we get 'home' - but with ours at $17.40 for 1/4 of a pound, I think you've got the better deal!

May 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM  
Blogger AngiePangie said...

Thank you so much for the tip! I've been making my own vanilla extract for a while, but have wanted to make some for gifts at the holidays. The usual cost of vanilla has prohibited this from happening, but now everyone will get vanilla extract AND vanilla sugar! Yay!!

May 3, 2008 at 5:00 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I bought from the same store last year, but it was no where near the deal you got! I need to buy some soon!

May 3, 2008 at 6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got a GREAT deal on the beans! When we find a deal we also stock up.

Then we store the beans by putting them into a quart-sized Mason jar, then vacuum sealing it with the "jar sealing" attachment on our Food Saver.

They will keep this way for many months.

May 3, 2008 at 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that top photo!

May 3, 2008 at 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one Megan to another Megan - I had to check out your blog. And what a day to check it out! I am going to order beans now - so I can make my own extract!

May 3, 2008 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

So you did win your auctions. I'm trying but every time it gets near the closing, the price is jacked up from all the bidding. Some day this summer I will prevail! lol

May 4, 2008 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger food makes me happy said...

My god,
This is awesome,
I'll go buy it now!
Thanks for telling us this awesome site!

May 4, 2008 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger April said...

That is a great deal on vanilla beans!! I have never made homemade vanilla extract. I am boookmarking this for christmas gifts!

May 5, 2008 at 5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since we are on a fixed oncome from my husband's disability pension we need to make every dollar stretch as far as possible.
We vacuum seal and freeze everything, from leftover canned foods to spices to satples like rice and flour.

We'll be stocking up on vanilla beans at this tasty price!

THANKS!

May 5, 2008 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger kate said...

that is amazing. i'm so glad to know that. i have heard saffron.com is a good resources, too.

: )

May 8, 2008 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger LunaMoonbeam said...

My little bro (a recent convert Foodie) said he can get beans for about a dollar apiece from Whole Foods, if you don't want to wait for shipping. :-)

May 12, 2008 at 4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home