Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Raspberry and Chocolate Dream Bars

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Raspberry and Chocolate Dream Bars

I belong to a large women's bible study and we break down into small groups to study. Every week it's a different groups turn to bring goodies. It was my groups turn today. I made two different kinds of cookies to share. Fruit and Chocolate Dream bars have been on my *To Make* list for a while as well as Lime Melt Aways.
This post is about my dream bars. Simple ingredients that one can usually find in the pantry, these cookies can be very versatile. I used raspberry jam but you could use any flavor. Strawberry would be excellent as well as an orange marmalade. Mmmmmm. The recipe called for milk chocolate but I accidentally used semi-sweet. Even a dark chocolate would be delicious. Mix up the nuts like I did. I thought I had pecans like the recipe called for. Nope. Sliced almonds in the pantry. O-well! Almond it is. was.
These cookies start with a shortbread like crust. . Next came a layer of jam, glorious fruity jam, spread over the warm crust. Top with a crumble and chocolate chips and it's back to the oven for another 15 minutes.
Simple as 1, 2, 3.

Fruit and Chocolate Dream Bars
Recipe by Nestles

CRUST
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
TOPPING
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup raspberry or strawberry jam
1 3/4 cups (11.5-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels


Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 9-inch-square baking pan.

FOR CRUST:
COMBINE flour and granulated sugar in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press onto bottom of prepared baking pan.

BAKE for 18 to 22 minutes or until set but not brown.

FOR TOPPING:
COMBINE flour, nuts and brown sugar in small bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

SPREAD jam over hot crust. Sprinkle with morsels and Topping.

BAKE for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.





.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must have been in the wrong Bible study because we never had treat like this. Yum! These looks wonderful.

April 3, 2008 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Yummy! Look delicious!

April 4, 2008 at 5:57 AM  
Blogger Elle said...

Raspberry and chocolate were just meant to be together, weren't they? Those look delicious! The lime meltaways look pretty darn good, too!

April 4, 2008 at 6:05 AM  
Blogger Patsyk said...

Those look so good! I have to stop looking at all the dessert posts, because I am going to seriously need to lose weight if I make all of them! LOL!

ps... saw the pic on tastespotting! Way cool!

April 4, 2008 at 6:14 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

I bought peach preserves from Georgia, and I wanted to use it for something special. These bars seem like they fit. Maybe I'll bake these for my parents who are visiting on Sunday.

Thanks for the good vibes on my blog. Although now I have a cold. At least I got sick now and not last week during my trip. I think the combination of the drastic weather change (from 80s in GA to 50s in PA + rain) and exhaustion caught my immune system off guard lol

Well, no laptop this weekend = more time for baking, right? And having a cold = smoothie and soup recipes.

April 4, 2008 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

These sound so delicious! And they are beautiful, too!

April 4, 2008 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger glamah16 said...

Like the new header,etc. Thanks for promoting our event on the side bar. These look scrumptious!

April 4, 2008 at 5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 4, 2008 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Oh I will be trying these this week. These look so yummy!
www.testkitchenrecipes.blogspot.com

April 4, 2008 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger Gretchen Noelle said...

I have recently found an orange marmalade at the store that I love. I may have to try it in these with dark chocolate. MMMmmmm!

April 5, 2008 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger test it comm said...

Those look soo good!! Shortbread, raspberry jam and chocolate...mmm...

April 5, 2008 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I made these this morning with peach preserves for the jam. Mmm! This is definitely a keeper. My problem was you had to wait until the chocolate chips cooled because cutting it before makes a giant chocolate mess. lol

April 6, 2008 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger BumbleVee said...

oh, yeah..... and YUM....

April 6, 2008 at 5:52 PM  
Blogger Farmhouse Blessings said...

Mmmmm ~ sounds so good. I think I would like to try them with the orange marmelade & dark chocolate. Yum!

Blessings, Lea

April 7, 2008 at 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raspberry is one of my FAVORITES! And with chocolate?? YUM!!!!

April 8, 2008 at 4:50 AM  
Blogger April said...

Both of these cookies look wonderful!!! yum!

April 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Where exactly does your bible study group meet? ...I'd study with you anywhere for cookies like this!

April 9, 2008 at 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 9, 2008 at 11:05 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Yummm...I love bars.
I would take dark and semi-sweet chocolate over milk chocolate any day.

April 10, 2008 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger emgray said...

Yum! What a great site to stumble on. Now these are on my "To Make" list! Thanks!

April 11, 2008 at 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though Children like chocolate but I am also a fan of this.

April 12, 2008 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I am still hammering away at this year's crop of raspberries that have been lovingly delivered to my front door steps.

Plus hello chocolate!

Awesome job!

August 13, 2009 at 6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home