Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: The Gems Of Fall

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Gems Of Fall



My friend Sue gave me a few pomegranates. I couldn't resist a few pictures. I broke one open to reveal those ruby red jewels. I was taking pictures while popping those gems into my mouth. I had them rolling on the floor and spilling out of my little glass. Everywhere was red little streaks from where a seed would roll.
I was having such fun playing with my food. But what should I make? I'm thinking of Roasted Chicken with a pomegranate glaze. Or, or maybe an apple and pomegranate relish to serve with roasted pork. (HeeHee) I'm giddy with excitement.

But, how do you get all those little gems out of that orb with minimum staining of everything? Here's one way. I suggest you do the following but when you break it open, do it in a bowl of water. The seeds fall to the bottom and the membranes float. Skin off the membrane and rinse your seeds.

How to peel a pomegranate
To peel a pomegranate, first cut off the crown and gently scoop out some of the center core without disturbing the seeds. With a sharp knife, score just through the outer rind around the fruit in quarters. Put your thumb in the core center and gently pull apart the sections. Peel away the inner white papery skin covering the seeds and discard. Gently invert the skin inside out and the seeds will pop out to be easily removed without bruising. HT:About.com

To eat the inner seed or not to eat the inner seed? That is the question! Its really personal preference. It's all totally edible and in fact, the seed is where all the fiber is.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! That's strange my pictures aren't showing up. The picture of my cat is on the same server as the cake pics. Hmm. I'll get someone else to look at it because they show up fine for me. :)

October 16, 2007 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

How beautiful!

October 17, 2007 at 7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those photo effects :)What DID you make with the red jewels?

October 17, 2007 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Carla-Hope you find your pics.

Carrie-Thank you

Maryann-I love those photos too.
I made pomegranate wild rice. It was delish.

October 17, 2007 at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home