Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: How To Make A Checkered Cake

Monday, June 2, 2008

How To Make A Checkered Cake



These two pictures were taken with a phone so, sorry about the pictures. I wont be winning any photography contests with these. But at least you can kind of see inside the cake.
That was the checkered *Perfect Party Cake*.

Here, I'll give you a few more bad shots of a checkered cake I made in January.



They were fun cakes and easy to make. The kids thought I was a genius. I'll admit, I liked that.

So how do you make a checkered cake with out a special pan?
Well... you do need some cookie cutters.

First I baked a chocolate layer and a vanilla layer. I cut each layer in half to get four layers.

I used 9 inch cake pans, but I have used 8 inch and it worked fine because my cutters aren't exact.



You need a 6" cookie cutter. (hard to find)

I found a 5 1/2 inch one at Cost Plus World Market.



and a 3 inch cutter.



Cut each layer into 3 circles.





Then swap inner circle rings with opposite layer.




Frost the inside of each circle before putting in the next piece. This keeps the pieces together when the cake is cut. I learned this the hard way!



This is how they should look. You'll notice only two layers got the frosting in between rings. That's how I know to frost all the rings. This particular cake wanted to fall apart where I didn't frost. Don't make my mistake, frost!



Frost each layer and I spread some of my Chocolate Covered Strawberry Jam in between.



Yummy goodness!




Add each alternating layer,



Frost and more jam



repeat with all layers



final frosting



Decorated with white and dark chocolate shavings.

**********************************************************

Photography by Kellie. (My 13 year old)

*********************************************************

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger glamah16 said...

Finally. Someone breaks it down in a easy way. I get it now!And I dont have to buy the Wilton pan. I could never grasp this. Thank You!

June 2, 2008 at 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, that makes perfect sense! No wonder you checkerboard cakes always look so perfect. I have a "special" cake pan but have never gotten it to look as clean as yours. Very good. Thank you!

June 2, 2008 at 11:20 PM  
Blogger April said...

I have never attempted a checkered cake! Thanks for the instructions! It looks great. I am glad that you like the jam too!

June 3, 2008 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I have always wondered how to do this! Thanks for for the pic by pic lesson - just great!

June 3, 2008 at 7:47 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

How neat! I think I could even get this! Thanks for sharing your tricks!

June 3, 2008 at 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! truly, you have more patience than i ever will.

June 3, 2008 at 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way cool! Saw this in a new cookbook of mine and went, "OH!" when I saw it. It's always been a mystery to me. Very nice job!

June 3, 2008 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger test it comm said...

Great checkered cake! Nice step by step instructions!

June 3, 2008 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

How creative. It adds even more fun to the perfect party cake, and it look easy. Thanks for the step by step pictures.

June 4, 2008 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger April said...

Hey there, I have tagged you..again, I think! LOL

June 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

AHA! I get it! Thanks for showing us the step by step process. I always wondered how it was done.

June 4, 2008 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Bumblebutton said...

That is genius!! You are a magician! I never ever would have figured that out. Now I can impress my own kiddy type--and I bet his daddy too!

June 4, 2008 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger food makes me happy said...

So this is how you make checkered cake,
It's like magic,
I never know that's how you do it,
You rock!

June 4, 2008 at 9:49 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

The cake looks amazing! So ambitious! I'll have to give that a try for my daughter's birthday!

June 5, 2008 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger Reeni said...

This is genius! I can't wait to try it!!

January 1, 2009 at 3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks great! Thank you - my son's birthday is tomorrow and I was kicking myself for not thinking of buying a pan sooner but then I found your blog and now the cakes are cooling on the counter! I can't wait for him to cut into his cake and see his surprise checkerboard!

January 9, 2009 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Kickdrive said...

I found it much easier to freeze the cake before cutting and swapping rings. The cake suffered no taste difference and the layers were much more even. Good instructions!

February 5, 2009 at 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice instructions! Just to add to Slick's technique...after you've got the rings reassembled and frosted, freeze again until the frosting is hard. They'll be "glued" together and won't fall apart when you're moving them around.

March 23, 2009 at 11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of cake mix did you use? Mine fell apart in to a thousand pieces after I cut it. :( No way to put it back together.

April 25, 2009 at 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Culinary Cory said...

It's interesting to see how you do your checkered cake. I actually own a checked cake pan that allows you to pour the batter in different sections as they bake together. Thanks for sharing this link on the Food Bloggers forum.

October 14, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home