Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.meganscookin.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Megans Cookin: Garlic Jelly

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Garlic Jelly


When I heard Carla from Chocolate Moosey was
I knew I was in.
The theme is garlic and it's suppose to be the main event.
Not just a clove or two of garlic thrown in some little dish but it is meant to be center stage.
You know what I mean?
Well...
It didn't take much thinking for me to figure out what I was gonna do.
Garlic Jelly!!!

Here's my set up. I have the larger pot for keeping the jars hot and then I use it again to boil my jars for processing. The small sauce pan has hot water and my lids in it. The medium sauce pan is where I'm making the jam. Oh, and the jar lifter is there in the middle. See it?

Jelly after processing
In this recipe, you simmer the garlic in vinegar for 15 minutes,
then you let it seep for 24 to 36 hours.
Well...
let me tell you...
that stuff stunk the house up so bad, that Hubby and I couldn't sleep.
The second night wasn't so bad, but... that first night...
WHOOWEE, STINKY!




Here's the jam in the kitchen window so you can see that pretty color. Well,... that pretty artificial color. I use a tad bit of orange food coloring to get that Autumn color.
For the recipe, you press the garlic out of the vinegar you just simmered and then used the flavored vinegar basically as the fruit in the recipe. Add your sugar, pectin, water and cook it up. Pour jelly into the warm jars, put them back in their bath and boil for 10 minutes. Easy Peasy!

Looking past the jam, this is my view out the kitchen window.
The beginning of my maple tree is starting to lose her leaves.
This jelly was a pleasant surprise. Despite the overwelming stinch that first night,
this jelly was pretty mild. It's great with cream cheese over crackers for the holidays
(which really is just around the corners)
or makes a great little gift.
I'm brushing it on grilled chicken!
Happy Fall Ya All!



Garlic Jelly
found at Recipezaar

Ingredients
1/2 cup fresh garlic, finely chopped
2 cups white wine vinegar
5 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups water
1 (2 ounce) package dry pectin
1/4 teaspoon butter or oil
2 drops food coloring (optional)

Directions

1Combine garlic& vinegar in a 2 qt.
kettle.
Simmer mixture gently, uncovered, over medium heat for 15 minutes.
Remove pan from heat& pour mixture into a 1 quart glass jar.
Cover& let stand at room temperature for 24-36 hours.
Pour flavored vinegar through a wire strainer into a bowl, pressing the garlic with the back of a spoon to squeeze out liquid.
Discard any residue.
Measure the liquid& add vinegar, if needed, to make 1 cup.
Measure sugar into a dry bowl.
0Combine the garlic-vinegar solution& the water in a 5 or 6 quart kettle.
Add pectin, stirring well.
over high heat, bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly to avoid scorching.
Add sugar,& stir well.
Bring mixture to a full, rolling boil.
Add butter to reduce foaming.
Continue stirring.
Boil the mixture hard for exactly 2 minutes.
Remove pan from heat& skim off any foam.
Add red, yellow or orange food coloring if desired.
Pour jelly into prepared glasses.
Seal according to directions on recipe folder in pectin package.

______________________________________
More Jam Recipes
Vanilla Spiced Peach Jam
Chocolate Strawberry Jam


______________________________________

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Shelby said...

Interesting! I have never seen garlic jelly before! I would be game for it with cream cheese on crackers!

September 20, 2008 at 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, what will you do with your jelly? I like HoneyB's suggestion but I'm a bit flummoxed by this preserve. I can see it being a nice glaze for grilled or roasted chicken but then I run out of ideas.

September 20, 2008 at 5:49 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hi Dana, I figure you can do anything with it that you would do with pepper jelly. My favorite is to have it on hand for a quick appetizer with cream cheese and crackers. As you mentioned, grilled chicken, and I was thinking of trying it on my BLT. Also I want to grill up some shrimp and glaze it with the jelly and throw it in a salad. Other then that, I dont know. If anyone has any more suggestions, throw at me!!!

September 20, 2008 at 6:27 PM  
Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Megan, what a wonderful idea. I've made jalapeno jelly, but it never occured to me to make some with garlic. And you're right, it would make a great holiday gift. You are so with it! Great post.

September 20, 2008 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

Wow, that is bizarre! But I laughed - I looked at the picture of the leaves on the ground and I thought you were going to say, 'Man, it stank so bad, this tree outside was dying!' LOL

September 21, 2008 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger April said...

Your jars look so pretty with the ribbon. I think that these would make great gifts, I don't know of anyone that has ever gotten garlic jelly!

September 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Yup, got your entry. I was at home this weekend, so I didn't check my email as often as I do at school. I want to make this, but I'm afraid to stink up the house heehee!

September 21, 2008 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

What an interesting jelly! I am a garlic lover, so I bet I could find lots of ways to use this up!

September 22, 2008 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

i love pepper jelly so i bet i'll love this too. thanks for taking part in wcc this month!

October 6, 2008 at 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home